The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How to grow celery...???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: how to grow an aloe vera plant| Next thread: How to grow mint »
Back to Thread index
by badplanter on July 09, 2006 08:41 AM
hi every1, its me again...i have a question about celery--How do you grow it? i bought some baby stalks and transplanted them into my garden a little while ago(7/8/06 2:30pm EST). I gave them water but i don't know what to do from there--this is my first year growing it, so i'm new to the whole "celery" business. I got them real cheap, too--4 baby stalks for only $1!!! it was a good deal, so i said "what the heck", not knowing how to grow them. If any1 here knows how to............... Thanks

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Longy on July 09, 2006 09:03 AM
Grow them like lettuces. Lots of water, liquid fert regularly and mulch and to keep the stems white (blanched) you can put a container around them to keep the sun off.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Deborah L. on July 09, 2006 09:46 AM
Longy, keep the sun off? You mean celery likes shade?
I'm still planning to root a celery bottom for fun.
I have one today to try it out in a saucer of water.
Badplanter, what a deal-I'd have grabbed those too !

-
 -
by Longy on July 09, 2006 09:57 AM
keep the sun off? You mean celery likes shade
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
No, they like full sun....
Now i'll try and explain myself a little better:-)

You know how when you buy celery, it is white at the base of the stalk? Well that bit is covered from the sun. Some people use mulch piled up high around the plant. I have cut the top and base out of a milk carton and used that. The plants leaves have to be out of the cover, so the plants can photosynthsise, just the stalks get covered. If you don't, they will be greener and not as tender.
Does that make sense?

-
The secret is the soil.
by Deborah L. on July 09, 2006 11:45 AM
Yes, I get it, and thanks.
Is that what's called "blanching" ?
BTW, the inner lighter green stalks are my favorite-never have liked the outer stalks.
Good for cooking but not for my peanut butter celery !

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: how to grow an aloe vera plant| Next thread: How to grow mint »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: