The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Grape Tomatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: grape size victoria plums| Next thread: grape tomatoes? »
Back to Thread index
by printer.tech on July 07, 2006 01:37 AM
I'm having trouble with my grape tomatoes vining all over the place. How should I prune them or tie them off?
by johnCT on July 07, 2006 02:13 AM
Hi and welcome. Are they just sprawling on the ground now? You could stake them up with something and tie them to the stake.

John - Zone 6
by obywan59 on July 07, 2006 06:16 AM
I have mine pruned to 4 stems and tied to a stake. Last year I pruned all my tomatoes to 2 stems and staked (with rebar), but 2 stems isn't enough for my orange sungold and red grape tomatoes, so this year I pruned to 4 stems. They still looked a bit sparse, so I'm also allowing a few of the suckers to grow. I have them spaced only 2 feet apart, so I don't think it's wise to let all the suckers grow.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by MrClint on July 07, 2006 08:28 AM
The approach that works for me is a combination of light suckering, staking and caging. I drive in one of those long green plastic coated poles from home depot and then place a big round tomato cage around it. Next I tie the cage off to the pole, then plant the tomato smack-dab in the center.

As the plant grows, remove the first few suckers until the plant is about half way up the cage. I don't remove any more suckers from then on as they tend to bear fruit. As the plant grows out of the cage, tie off the various branches to the pole with twine.
 -

-

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by DeepCreekLake on July 07, 2006 10:43 AM
Those Juliets- grow like mad too! Mine are growing like crazy, flowering heavy! Cant wait for them to fully ripen
by MrClint on July 07, 2006 11:43 AM
I've found the Juliets are best if cooked. Just a short stint in the toaster oven brings out lots of tomato flavor. In a omelot or frittata they are remarkable, eaten plain and fresh they are somewhat unremarkable.

by DeepCreekLake on July 07, 2006 11:50 AM
Im gonna try some salsa with mine, and Pane` Pomodoro which is an Italian Bruschetta we grew up eating- although the cherry tomatoes with more soft guts & seeds work better for that. My sis in law has made good Marinara with juliets- they are pretty versitle, and seem to be growing very well.
by MrClint on July 07, 2006 12:09 PM
Yes, they seem to be more like a mini-plum tomato and less like a grape tomato.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: grape size victoria plums| Next thread: grape tomatoes? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: