The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bare root roses

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Bare Root Plants??????| Next thread: bare spots on lawn »
Back to Thread index
by Barb H. on May 19, 2004 03:21 PM
Just wondering if a bare root rose planted this spring will actually bloom this year? I bought a bunch this spring and wonder whether I will get any roses this summer.

-
by Chrissy on May 19, 2004 08:39 PM
They can...I bought 2 new bare root roses & one is now budding & will soon bloom, and the other one looks dead as a doornail & dormant as can be....so I guess it just depends on the type of rose.

-
 -
z5b
by Barb H. on May 24, 2004 03:07 PM
Thanks, Chrissy! I finally see a few buds on a few of the new roses....some, as you say, are leafing out, but no buds.

Here's something for you.......

last year was our first spring/summer at this house....we inherited a rose bush in the backyard...after we uncovered all of the years of growth around it, it bloomed red...which isn't my favorite color in the garden...i prefer pastels, pinks, purples, blues....anyway this year it blooms PINK!!! How?

ANYONE have any ideas why? It was most certainly red last year!

-
by Chrissy on May 24, 2004 06:01 PM
I think a few factors could be at play here. I have been told that roses can change the color of their blooms from one year to the next due to soil conditions, & heat. You say it used to bloom red when it was overgrown...but after pruning & cleaning up the rose bush this year it is pink. It is likely that the cleaning up you did exposed more of the bush to sunlight & thereby caused the pigment in the rose petals to become slightly bleached by the sun making them look pink. I am just guessing on this, hopefully someone with more rose expertise will come through & answer this for you.

-
 -
z5b
by afgreyparrot on May 24, 2004 08:16 PM
I'd say the red rose was from the "root stock", and then when you started taking care of it what was still there from grafting got healthy enough to grow and bloom (pink). Or, the other way around. But sounds like your root stock bloomed.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Barb H. on May 28, 2004 04:58 PM
Chrissy and Cindy,

Thanks! I was very curious to figure it out. We added soil and mulch, plus coffee grinds and now i am trying to find some photos from last year see exactly what color they were to be of more help figuring out the mystery.

Barb

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bare Root Plants??????| Next thread: bare spots on lawn »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: