The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Coneflower seeds ~ Save !!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: cone flowers| Next thread: Coneflower Topper »
Back to Thread index
by netwiz on July 26, 2006 04:00 PM
Can anyone tell me how to get the seeds from a coneflower seedhead? I let a few dry out but I can't seem to get any seeds from them. Thanks!

Joanne

by Taraven on July 26, 2006 09:17 PM
The seeds are the dried brown 'Cone'area. If you gently pull a small piece of that area you'll find it consists of the brown top piece and further down is the actual seed. Just take one of the dried flowerhead 'cones' and gently split the tufty area apart using both your thumbs to open it up. You'll be amazed how many seeds each cone has.
I hope that isn't 'clear as mud' and helps you in gathering your seeds [Smile]
Good luck!!

Taraven

-
by TulsaRose on July 26, 2006 11:48 PM
When I want to save Cone Flower seeds, I cut the stems about 6" - 8" long and place them in a medium size brown paper bag, seed head down. Then I let it sit for several days (or weeks if I'm busy) and the seeds fall out by themselves or I give the sack a couple of whacks to knock them out of the pods. I have found that handling the seed heads with my bare hands can be painful to say the least. [Smile]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by tkhooper on July 27, 2006 12:25 AM
The church had these planted in their new landscaping. Are they annuals or perennials? I would like to have the seeds if they are annuals so that we can have them again next year. Because they are very pretty.

-
 -
by SpringFever on July 27, 2006 12:58 AM
They are Perrenials Tammy... I have a few that have yet to bloom but they will pretty soon.. [thumb]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by netwiz on July 27, 2006 07:58 AM
Thanks! I love the idea of using a paper bag. I pried one open and found white seeds... did I do it too soon?

Joanne
by Bestofour on July 27, 2006 01:32 PM
I guess I'm the lazy gardner in the group. I take the cone and smash it in the ground with my foot. Those things are way too sticky for me. It's like getting a splinter. It works because I've got flowers.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by patches1414 on July 27, 2006 06:30 PM
Tammy, Coneflowers are perennials and they are so easy to grow from seeds. [Wink] They are one of my favorite flowers and the birds love them. [Love] I like to leave the seed heads on over the winter for the birds to feast on, at least, until the birds have stripped them clean. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by dodge on July 29, 2006 01:07 PM
netwiz, and gang.....

Here's mine, now, does it dry up quickly to make seeds?

First time user here.

dodge  -

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by netwiz on July 29, 2006 02:21 PM
Beautiful flower! I'm still trying to figure out the best time to get the seeds from the pod. Hopefully someone will let us know.

Joanne
by Bestofour on July 29, 2006 02:36 PM
It takes a while to dry up but you'll be able to tell. The cone part dries up and becomes very prickly - like splinters if it sticks you.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by TulsaRose on July 30, 2006 12:04 AM
Wait until the seed heads are totally dried up. They will be very dark brown, almost black. In the meantime, enjoy watching the Gold Finch feed on them. [Wink]

There were at least ten feeding yesterday but they are so quick, I could only capture one and it's not all that good...
 -

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by netwiz on July 30, 2006 01:55 AM
Dodge - Howdy neighbor! We have family in Meadeville and a hunting cabin in Tionesta. I'm always amazed at how cold it gets up there at night even in summer. What zone are you?

Rosie - So the seeds are viable as long as the seed head is dry? I found white seeds in the one I pried open and was worried that I didn't give it enough time. I'll wait a little longer next time to see if there is a difference. Thanks!

Joanne
by TulsaRose on July 30, 2006 03:34 AM
Joanne, the viable seeds are black so you must have harvested too early.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by netwiz on July 30, 2006 05:47 AM
Dodge,

Yes, the cabin is in the northwestern corner of PA. I have a sister in law in Altoona, about 45 minutes from Johnstown. She gets much cooler temps in the evening and lots more snow than we do here in York. Certainly hasn't hurt her beautiful flower gardens! Glad to meet ya neighbor [wavey]

Joanne
by Jiffymouse on September 16, 2006 11:06 PM
[flower]
by dodge on September 16, 2006 11:38 PM
Jiffymouse

Daaaaaaaaaaaa

We see no message there?????????????
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''