The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Draught/heat resistant grass seed?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: drainage problem| Next thread: Dreaded Cuke Beetles »
Back to Thread index
by Patty S on October 10, 2005 12:34 AM
We're starting our lawn over from scratch... have tilled, raked all the weeds & thatch out & worked topsoil in. My husband wants to plant draught/heat resistant grass seed, but I haven't found any that say that on the bag. Does it exist?

-
 -
by The Plant Doc on October 10, 2005 07:48 PM
For your corner of the country I would look for a blend that has a high percentage of fine, red, and blue fescues. This is a much finer bladed grass then the ryes or blues, but they do, do a lot better of a job in drier and warmer conditions.
I don't know if it would be hardy in your area or not, but also Zoysia plugs may fit your bill, but be pre warned; Zoysia is the last grass to green up in the spring, and the first to go dormant in the fall, and it does spread like wildfire!

Hope this helps

Mike

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by papito on October 11, 2005 01:13 AM
Information about drought tolerant turfgrass.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by johnCT on October 11, 2005 02:02 AM
A turf-type tall fescue would fit your needs well. They are the most drought tolerant species of cool season turfgrass.

John - Zone 6
by Patty S on October 27, 2005 10:31 AM
Thanx for your help, Mike, Papito & John. After researching locally, I end up with a Perennial Ryegrass, Creeping Red Fescue & another local Fescue mixture, which I'm told was designed for this area. It's my understanding that since we have such wet winters here, the draught/heat hardy grasses such as Zoysia, which my husband wanted, would only create headaches, as we'd end up with mold & disease problems. (I'm sure he would have loved to practice his short game at home on a Zoysia Turf, but I don't think he'd have appreciated the long term results!)

I never dreamed that something as "every-day" as a LAWN could be such a complicated science! In my travels over the past couple of weeks I've read grass seed labels, took notes & looked things up, & am truly amazed at some of the JUNK they include in some grass seeds... such as Meadow brome, which is an invasive annual, & Curly dock, which is a perineal weed (in the Buckwheat family) & sounds like the next best thing to quack grass! They don't include very much of this kind of thing in with the grass seed, but from what I read about both of those plants, it seems like it wouldn't require very much of either, to wind up dealing with it for a long time to come!

There is an aptly named "Contractors mix" which includes a small % of those weeds, along with 49% Rebel Exeda Tall Fescue & 25% Gulf Annual Ryegrass, which I believe would produce quick results & an abundant lawn for a season, but sounds to me like the yard would need to be re-done in another year or 2... not to mention contending with the weeds that a person might fight for SEVERAL years! (I wonder what WEED AND FEED would do to that lawn! Even if the Meadow brome & Curly dock would be resposive to the WEED part, it's my guess that likewise, the Gulf Annual would respond as well, leaving behind very little to FEED!)

This new lawn project has been an interesting & educational adventure! I appreciate the input from each of you & thank you for your time.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: drainage problem| Next thread: Dreaded Cuke Beetles »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: