The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Zoysia lawn

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Zoysia Grass| Next thread: Zuc Plants »
Back to Thread index
by PamelaO on August 17, 2005 10:50 PM
several years ago, my husband laid a zoysia sod lawn. He weeds and feeds it religiously and it is beautiful.

This weekend a friend was trying to help and mowed for us. Sadly he scalped more than a few spots.

DH is livid! [Mad] He's worked so hard to maintain this lawn and now he's afraid it's going to die! We raked all the grass clippings and we've been watering heavily.

So, the questions are 1. are we overwatering? 2. what else can we do?

HELP!!!

PamelaO
by Longy on August 17, 2005 10:58 PM
Firstly, don't panic. Lawn is generally bulletproof. If the weather is extremely hot you may need to water a bit more than you were. Just let the lawn do its thing, it'll come back. Once you see new growth, a half strength liquid lawn fert may be a good idea.

-
The secret is the soil.
by The Plant Doc on August 21, 2005 10:28 PM
Zoysia is one of the most hardy grass plants there is, Longy is right, dang near bullet proof, it will grow back. While zoysia is extremely drought tolorant it will take over watering for a while with little to no problems, however it will thin it out over a long period of time.
Personally I hate the stuff, and most people up here in the north grow to hate it too, after a couple of years of having it.
In this zone it is the last grass to green up in the spring, and the first to go brown in the fall.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by PamelaO on August 26, 2005 03:44 AM
You are so right! It has the shortest green season of any of the grass around here, too. But when it's full and green, it is beaUtiful.

It seems to be coming back slowly, but so are some "weed" grasses. DH is also slowly cooling off!

Thanks for the positive feedback. I told DH what y'all said, and he was glad to hear it!

PamelaO

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Zoysia Grass| Next thread: Zuc Plants »
Back to Thread index