The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato fruit set...post your results

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tomato Freeze?| Next thread: Tomato fruit set...post your results »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2 3
by johnCT on June 30, 2006 01:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:

John, when did you become an advocate of Daconil? I wish I knew more about that product.

I wouldn't call myself an advocate because I have zero firsthand experience with it. I've never used any fungicides on tomatoes Dave. I simply did not know better until reading what Carolyn, Craig and others have experienced and used for years. I am planning on picking up a bottle this weekend to experiment with this summer. I am not opposed to non-organic methods and do not consider myself a completely organic gardener. From my reading I see that Daconil has been around for many years and has been studied ad nauseum.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on June 30, 2006 05:12 AM
I'd be tempted to use Daconil at this point. I'm seeing disease starting to run rampant on many plants. I can't really tell if I'm looking at primarily fungus, virus or bacteria, or some combination, and I don't even know if spraying now would be effective. Grrrrr. [Mad]
I'll be eating tomatoes this year, for sure, but I'm starting to get discouraged.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Triss on June 30, 2006 07:16 AM
I have my first tomato. It is a Taxi. Have never tried them before so looking very forward to it!

-

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Internetowl on June 30, 2006 07:25 AM
I found one too on one of my young plants, its the size of a marble but it wasn't there yesterday I'm sure. Perhaps its a scout to see if its safe for them to come out [Smile]

Serious question - should the top shoots be pinched out on the plants or left to grow unabaited?
by johnCT on June 30, 2006 07:26 AM
Wow Triss! Very nice. Make sure to let us know how it tastes. I'm also growing Taxi in a container.

John - Zone 6
by Triss on June 30, 2006 10:24 AM
I will John. So far it is my first and only so it is exciting!

-
 -
by Amigatec on June 30, 2006 10:38 AM
Something is eating my Mator's, I am seeing bite marks, don't know if it's a turtle or rabbit.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Deborah L. on June 30, 2006 12:03 PM
Turtles????? You mean you have wild turtles there?

-
 -
by Sorellina on June 30, 2006 12:04 PM
Ciao Dave,

A picture is still worth a thousand words. I think we might be able to help you a bit more if we could see what you're seeing on your plants. Last year, the only really major case of blight I had (until Fall when any plants that might have looked great start to look awful with all the lower leaves withering) was on my Sungolds. I had one in the ground and one in a 15 gal IKEA bucket. The one in the bucket was in direct sun and produced a fair bit, not typical for its variety, but still decent enough for a couple of bags of dried tomatoes as well as some tasty pastas and some marmalade and of course lots of snacks. The one in the ground was in a partially shaded area in the front of the house and was a spindly plant from start to finish. Neither of these plants had a lot of foliage from the start. Midway into the season, after I had harvested some, but not the bulk of the crop, I started to see some yellowing on the leaves which lead to crispy edges and eventual falling off the plant. I helped the plants out by taking these leaves off when I saw the yellowing progress up the leaf to where the leaf meets the stem. Never compost these, always toss them with the yard waste. I haven't tried the Daconil, I don't know enough about it yet, and I try not to use chemicals if at all possible. Bottom line here...you may not have the prettiest plants, but it shouldn't affect your overall harvest all that much. You'll still get fruit and you might even get it all the way into the Fall like I did with my Sungolds. I rooted a sucker off the bucket plant, but it ended up getting the same thing so I'm pretty sure this was a viral or fungal or bacterial thing and not a weather or Julianna thing.

-
by peppereater on June 30, 2006 03:03 PM
Julianna, thanks for the encouraging words.
I have a creedo I have lived by for 20 plus years.
"If I get to eat homegrown tomatoes, it was a good year for gardening."
I'll get to eat homegrown tomatoes.
Last year was my best tomato year ever, I ate tomatoes every day for close to 3 months, and gave away a lot. Between the heat and what I thought was early blight, the plants shut down production in August. This year, I have some of the best fruit set ever, but only on some plants. I'm also seeing the worst onset of foliar disease I have ever experienced. I've looked at numerous pics, and I just can't figure out what I've got. My camera isn't great for close-ups. I thought I had early blight, now it's looking like that, maybe bacterial spot, plus septoria, maybe some verticillium, and what would be spotted wilt if the tops were dying, which they're not. I don't get it. I'm discouraged. All that work. Shoot me now.

-
Dave
by Triss on June 30, 2006 03:22 PM
Oh Dave, I am sorry you are having such a rough time. Very frustrating when all your hard work is being plagued and you cannot even figure out what it is.

-
 -
by DeeLuzon on June 30, 2006 04:59 PM
well, reading this thread has been an emotional rollercoaster for me. on the one hand, i'm completely depressed for realizing that a number of my plants are exhibiting symptoms of DISEASE. kinda scary sounding. on the other hand, i've learned that i can trim off the sickly stuff and add straw to help; maybe even spray with something. kinda reassuring.

but, given the fact that all of the plants seem to be growing well and, as of today, are producing flowers and, as of today, quite a few have set fruit, i've decided NOT to be too panicky a parent and see how the kids do without too much fretting on my part. i'm getting way too much pleasure out of every new development to succumb to fear. next thing you know, i'd set up a phone out in the garden and then, every hour, leave a message for the tomatoes wondering why they haven't called to tell me how they're feeling (they wouldn't be answering for being too loaded from drinking the beer in the slug traps).

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
- Oscar Wilde
by johnCT on July 01, 2006 01:12 AM
Keep your chin up guys! We're still learning! [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by Rosepetal on July 01, 2006 06:32 AM
Learning is right John, [thumb]

Just when we think we've got it right something else happens. [tears]

Then you lay awake and wonder what you did or didn't do. [dunno] [dunno]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Deborah L. on July 01, 2006 01:12 PM
Saw the first baby yellow pear tomato this morning !
And a whompin' big bell pepper that I didn't know was hiding ! [clappy]

-
 -
by elkwc36 on July 01, 2006 03:48 PM
Had my first worms hit a pepper and tomato plant this week. Almost stripped one of my bigger peppers. So will have to check closely now. Otherwise my tomatoes set more this week and really growing now.
Dave hate to hear about the problems you are having. JD
by peppereater on July 01, 2006 04:17 PM
I'll post pics tomorrow, but I think I'm losing the cream of my crop. I'm literraly sick.

-
Dave
by Triss on July 01, 2006 05:46 PM
Oh Dave, I just hate reading that. I am so so sorry you are having such a rough year.

-
 -
by johnCT on July 01, 2006 11:50 PM
quote:
I'll post pics tomorrow, but I think I'm losing the cream of my crop. I'm literraly sick.
Sorry to hear that Dave. Take some pics and post them when you can.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on July 02, 2006 06:41 AM
These pics don't do a good job of showing the disase problems I'm having. The yellow leaves may look like overwatering or nitrogen deficiency, but that's not it. There are blotches, curled brown leaves...too many symptoms to name. This all happened literaly overnight a few days ago. The worst affected plant is the German Red Strawberry I started a topic on earlier. It's loaded with fruit, and I'm afraid to even pick off the infected leaves for fear of scalding the fruit. The diseased leaves are throughout the plant, not just bottom leaves. We had not had rain for a number of days when this all appeared, and I do not allow the leaves to get wet when I water.
 -
 -
 -
 -
[IMG http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/peppereater/S4300188.jpg[/IMG]
 -
 -

-
Dave
by johnCT on July 02, 2006 06:49 AM
I don't know what to say Dave. Definitely some sort of disease. Hard to tell from the pics. Wilt of some kind maybe. I hope they pull through and produce some maters for ya. Good luck.

John - Zone 6
by Amigatec on July 02, 2006 09:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Turtles????? You mean you have wild turtles there?
I have seen a turtle or two in the garden, I normally leave them so they can eat bugs.

-
 -
by Rosepetal on July 02, 2006 11:27 AM
How I love to see all you pictures and read about your tomatoes. [thumb]

I'm growing the tiny tims, I think you'd call them cherry tomatoes. Do I leave them on the plant until they are ripe or should I pick them while they are green yet? [dunno]

Thanks for helping a novice mator grower, you all sure give us enough encouagement to do more then we tho't we could. [clappy] [clappy]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Bestofour on July 02, 2006 12:06 PM
Dave, did you plant from seed? If you planted plants could one have been infected with something that's gone wild?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by elkwc36 on July 02, 2006 01:13 PM
Dave I have never seen anything like that on mine yet. Hope they recover and produce tomatoes. I know how disheartening it is at this time when they are looded. Keep us informed. Best wishes for a recovery. JD
by Deborah L. on July 02, 2006 02:10 PM
How neat to see a turtle just living naturally. As backyard wildlife, I mean. I wonder what kind it is?
BTW, I was just bragging about finding a bell pepper that was hiding, and while peering into the plant to admire it........ yep, another one broke off.
[Mad]

-
 -
by weezie13 on July 02, 2006 05:16 PM
Dave,
That's what mine do everrrrrry year..
It's the
Tomato Septoria Alternaria
and Here's some reading info for you on Leaf Spot of Tomato

It's in the soil..
And really goes to havoc when the water splashes the soil and up on to the plants..
and I almost don't care what you do to prevent it, it'll always be there.. just with different coverings it may slow it down..
I've tried everything..

I do get a crop of tomatoes though, so I wouldn't worry toooooo much...
But in the future, always clean everything from year to year that gets stuck into the ground with the tomatoes... ie: stakes, cages, etc..
***I don't, too much d@mn work*** but that's how it's helped not to continue it..

And don't use any of the infected plants in the compost bins, it over winters, clear the top area's of your beds..

I think the only I haven't done is to try a green crop under it *while growing* and I will try that, when I get some extra $$$...

Just plant alot of extra tomatoes.....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Greenthumb newbee on July 02, 2006 08:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your tomato problems. At least you HAVE tomatos. I have 2 plants that are somewhat small (1 foot tall) a volenteer (could be either a roma or big boy I think) and I was given a Red October whatever that is.

I have about 25 yellow tomato plants but there like new plants. Just 2 weeks old. I`m in Iowa next to Missouri so I should get some tomatos before the cold weather gets to them (usually mid to late oct.)
by weezie13 on July 03, 2006 02:28 AM
Don't feel bad... I am still planting mine too!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Amigatec on July 03, 2006 12:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
How neat to see a turtle just living naturally. As backyard wildlife, I mean. I wonder what kind it is?
BTW, I was just bragging about finding a bell pepper that was hiding, and while peering into the plant to admire it........ yep, another one broke off.
[Mad]

We get Possum, Skunks, and Coyotes as well.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on July 03, 2006 03:07 PM
I have rabbits, squirrels, crows, birds, lizards, (shudder) and occasionally, raccoons.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on July 03, 2006 03:08 PM
Oh, and owls that settle the canyon rats' hash....

-
 -
by Amigatec on July 04, 2006 01:14 PM
Here are just some of my Tomatoes.

Roma and Celebrity

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-
 -
by weezie13 on July 04, 2006 05:26 PM
Woooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww, are those great lookin'!!!
Fire up the grill and get out the pasta and salad..
It's almost tomato time!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Amigatec on July 05, 2006 02:02 AM
I have always had probelms growing Tomatoes, but this year I have the biggest bunch of Tomatoes ever!!!

I planted 2 Tomato plants about 6" apart, for a total of 6 groups. I have 12 Roma's and 12 Celebrity.

I guess added a bit to much compost this year. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by DeeLuzon on July 05, 2006 04:40 AM
as of 7/4, i have fruit of varying sizes (from barely embryonic to mid-term, i'd guess) on these plants...

orange banana
eva's purple
striped cavern
green zebra
Arkansas traveler
Burbank Red Slicing
Yellow Perfection
Brandywine

so far, about half of my plants have set some fruit (though nothing's going wild yet). i promise photos when they get more photogenic (i was never one for carrying around the ultrasound of my son, either).

a happy & safe anniversary of rebellion to everyone!!

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
- Oscar Wilde
by weezie13 on July 05, 2006 05:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Amigatec:
I guess added a bit to much compost this year. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Was it that 6 FEET of compost that did it!! (wink~wink!!)

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Bamboo on July 05, 2006 05:50 AM
I have 37 Cherry tomato plants, they are VERY VERY small at the moment, I mean they are about 2-3 inches tall [shocked] . But then, I did plant them late and they are growing quite quickly.

EDIT: Here are some pictures...
 -
 -
 -
And here they are all together...
 -
by peppereater on July 05, 2006 10:32 AM
Bamboo, best of luck!
Quick update on mine, disease has not progressed, big fat 'maters on several plants, if sunscald or disease doesn't get 'em. Black Plum is disease free and prolific, some color on a few fruit.

-
Dave
by weezie13 on July 05, 2006 10:51 AM
Bamboo,
Those look great..

Question???????
Are you going to seperate those plants
in the long rectangle planters/container?

You really could only put one in a planter..
They get realllllllllly big *mine grow 6+ft in the garden*....
The root system can be really big/large...
And they need good circulation..

You can get "foodgrade" buckets, drill holes in the bottom and you'll have great containers for them...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by pagarden on July 05, 2006 05:00 PM
Internetowl - "Serious question - should the top shoots be pinched out on the plants or left to grow unabaited?"

you mean sort of like topping off the plant? i do- just so they don't get too huge to handle but i think it's just a personal preference. you can do whatever you want. i do them when they are around 5 ft tall. i also trim back the huge leaves and pinch out all suckers. the trunks of my plants get nice and huge and they prodeuce nicely- unless of course they get some funky disease like this year. i am hoping to save them- i've cleaned them up a bit and they look god for now so we will have to wait and see. i have 3- super sweet 100 cherry plants (they produced loads last year), 3- yellow pears and 4- 4 of july plants. there are tons of fruits on there now, i'm just waiting for them to turn red so i can chow down! LOL my basil plant is nice and big so i'm ready.....
by johnCT on July 06, 2006 12:30 AM
quote:
Quick update on mine, disease has not progressed, big fat 'maters on several plants, if sunscald or disease doesn't get 'em. Black Plum is disease free and prolific, some color on a few fruit.
[clappy] [clappy] [muggs] [muggs]

Good to hear Dave.

John - Zone 6
by Bamboo on July 06, 2006 08:22 AM
quote:
Bamboo, best of luck!...
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Bamboo,
Those look great..

Question???????
Are you going to seperate those plants
in the long rectangle planters/container?

You really could only put one in a planter..
They get realllllllllly big *mine grow 6+ft in the garden*....
The root system can be really big/large...
And they need good circulation..

You can get "foodgrade" buckets, drill holes in the bottom and you'll have great containers for them...

Yeah, eventually I will have to seperate the tomatoes...can they really become 6 ft tall?? AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!
Looks like I have a job on my hands. Thanks for all the great tips.
[thumb]
by johnCT on July 06, 2006 08:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bamboo:
...can they really become 6 ft tall??
...and THEN some! [shocked]

John - Zone 6
by Amigatec on July 06, 2006 12:51 PM
I picked 54 tomatoes tonight, the most for one night. I have probably picked 3 to 4 times that many already.

I don't know what I did this year, but I have damndest bunch of tomatoes I ever saw.

And the Celebrity's are pretty this year, in years past all I had were ugly ones.

-
 -
by weezie13 on July 06, 2006 04:09 PM
I'm tellin' ya Pat,
it was that 6ft of COMPOST!!! [Wink] [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumb] [kissies]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on July 06, 2006 04:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bamboo:
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:

Yeah, eventually I will have to seperate the tomatoes...can they really become 6 ft tall?? AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!
Looks like I have a job on my hands. Thanks for all the great tips.
[thumb]

Yes, when planted in a garden, they can get 6ft and then some like John said...
Even in 5 gallon buckets they can get pretty tall...

You'll have your hands full, but you'll be lovin' every minute of it, when you're eating that scrumptuous home~grown tomato...

Please keep [gabby] us posted [critic] We Love [Cool] updates [critic]
Good [angel] or Bad [devil] That's how we all learn [teacher]
by Deborah L. on July 06, 2006 05:06 PM
54 tomatoes????
Wowie !!!! [flower] [clappy] [grin]

-
 -
by johnCT on July 07, 2006 12:30 AM
54 tomatoes and no pics of the bounty??!! [Eek!]

John - Zone 6
by MrClint on July 07, 2006 10:25 AM
I'm a west coaster and I want to chime in. [Wink]

My first Early Girl ripened and was picked in May. I didn't pick any more ripe tomatoes until June.

Right now Champion, Early Girl, Sun Gold and Juliet have been picked pretty steady. The first Momotaro was picked yesterday. Big beef and Supersteak have set fruit and are taking their own sweet time to ripen.

Just for grins, here's an Early Girl that I overwintered last year:

-

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomato Freeze?| Next thread: Tomato fruit set...post your results »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: