The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What Grass?!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Meg on April 07, 2005 05:29 AM
Ok, so I did it.. I took photos of my clumpy yard. Here's a few to share, and you too can almost visualize well enough to trip over & nearly break something while falling down from these clumps!

-

-

And let's not forget the wild onions..
 -

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Meg on April 07, 2005 05:31 AM
And some pretty ones..
 -

-

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by tkhooper on April 07, 2005 02:45 PM
Meg,

Did you take pictures of my garden space? Looks just like it except the weeds with flowers are purple. And that weed likes it over in the sandy soil rather than the clay where everything else is. If I wasn't on an incline I'd use that layering compost technique...infact I did in one place where the clay was just to tough to get through.

Do you have the roots that run on forever too?

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on April 07, 2005 02:50 PM
Ouch! I nearly broke my leg just looking at the pics! [Big Grin]

I sympathize with you, Meg. We have lots of clumps, too. We, also, have ruts made by vehicles when we first moved here because the drought ended and the "floods" came to welcome us. We definitely do not drive the tractor without hands or we might would be flying through the air! [scaredy]

Dianna

-
 -
by The Plant Doc on April 08, 2005 05:18 PM
It looks as if the lawn was enabled to grow very long for quite a while at some point. This thins the weaker plants out resulting in clumps of grass very simular to what you have.
What I would do this early fall is rent a power rake or a dethatcher and run it over your lawn after mowing it very short. This will know down some of the mass on those clumps. Then run a aerator over it which will loosen up the soil. Once this is done just reseed with a good perennial seed mix for your area. Then with a spring rake rake it lightly to cover the seed with the soil. DO NOT use anything labled "quick grow" as it will have a high percentage of annual rye in it. This type of grass comes up quick, but only lasts one season.

Make sure that once done you keep it well watered so the seed can germinate.

I hope this helps!
Mike

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: