The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

how do i get rid of these bugs?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Hillside Plants on December 01, 2005 03:10 AM
I recently brought in several plants from the outside. Now I have little tiny flying bugs from the dirt. How can I get rid of these annoyants?? Thanks in advance
by Patty S on December 01, 2005 12:29 PM
I don't know what kinds of "bugs" you're dealing with, but one time I had the same problem with little flying things, after bringing something indoors. They were like little Millers, with sort of off-white wings, about the size of rice. They weren't as fast as flies, so we could swat & hit them but they also liked being up high where we couldn't reach them... time for the vacuum cleaner with the long tube & crevice attachments!

Later on, the one's we missed made cocoons where the walls meet the ceiling! (Time for the vacuum again!) I have no idea what kinds of problems we'd have had later on if we hadn't gone around the house & checked every room, cuz they'd sure made themselves at home! [Eek!] (Never did find out what they were.)

I don't like using bug sprays, although I have resorted to using them on occasion. They seem to be oil-based anyway, so I sure wouldn't use them in the house because I don't especially like scrubbing walls! Not to mention that people do a lot of breathing indoors!

Don't know what else to tell you, other than to maybe hose down your plants with a spray nozzle before bringing them inside next time! Good luck! [wavey]

-
 -
by Hillside Plants on December 01, 2005 08:08 PM
thanks patty, i thought about trying soapy water in a spray bottle. What do you think?
by peppereater on December 01, 2005 11:12 PM
The soapy water is a standard remedy. You may have fungus gnats, they live on the surface of the soil...If that's what you have, I don't think they'll move into the house other than in soil.
by Valheru on December 08, 2005 03:28 AM
Hey I just wanted you to know of a organic bug spray that you can use if you like. I have a couple other recipies if your interested.

Garlic Oil Sprays:
Organic gardeners have long been familiar with the repellent or toxic affect of garlic oil on pests. when it is combined with mineral oil and pure soap,as it is in the recipe that follows, devised at the Henry Doubleday Research Association in England, it becomes an effective insecticide. Some studies also suggest that a garlic oil spray has fungicidal properties.
Protection Offered: Good results, with quick kill, have been noted against aphids, cabbage loopers, earwigs, June bugs, leafhoppers, sqaush bugs and whiteflies. The spray does not appear to harm adult lady beetles, and some gardeners have found that is does'nt work against the Colorado potaoe beetles, grape leaf skeletonizers, grasshoppers, red ants, or sowbugs.
How to Make: Soak 3 ounces of finely minced garlic cloves in 2 teaspoons of mineral oil for at least 24 hours. Slowly add 1 pint of water that has 1/4 ounce liquid soap or commercial insecticide soap mixed into it. Stir thoroughly and strain into a glass jar for storage. use at a rate of 1 to 2 Tablespoons of mixture to a pint of water. If this is effective, try a more dilute solution in order to use as little as possible.
How to Use: Spray plants carefully to ensure thorough coverage. To check for possible leaf damage to sensitive ornamentals from the oil and soap in the spray, do a test spray on a few leaces or plants first. If no leaf damage occurs in 2 or 3 days, go ahead and spray more.

Hope that helps you.

Easy Help On Everything About Your Gardening
by RugbyHukr on December 08, 2005 03:39 AM
Did you get your name from the ancient Dragon Lords?

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Pesticus on December 10, 2005 08:30 AM
These sound like fungus gnats and probably Bradysia paupera. Best bet is to use a surfactant based pesticide and soak the compost

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: