The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Broccolli....already.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: broccoli| Next thread: Broken Aloe Plant »
Back to Thread index
by woodchuck on June 16, 2006 06:21 AM
Weeding around the cabbage family today and was surprised to see broccolli heads, bigger than a golfball smaller than a baseball. Some of the non-bearing plants are only 8" tall. The only thing I can attribute to the varied growth is what can't be seen, soil contaminents or nutrition pockets.

The tomatoes are doing the same thing, some plants growing well and others are somewhat stagnant.

The watering schedule is based on moisture at the roots, I dig down 2-4" to see how wet it is in every row before deciding on how much, how long,etc. This soil retains moisture very well, and drains s..l..o..w..l..y, so 1" of water once per week should do it for all the plants, unless it rains long/slow for at least 4hours.
by johnCT on June 16, 2006 06:47 AM
Interesting. No sign of any heads on my plants yet. Probably a foot tall so far. Variety is "Packman".

John - Zone 6
by 'Sparagus on June 16, 2006 01:14 PM
Here's my Green Goliath, from seeds planted 4/1. I forget when I put them out, first week or two of May I think!

-

-

Due to plant more in a month or so....but I have no room! [Eek!]

[flower]
by weezie13 on June 16, 2006 03:10 PM
I had noooooooooo idea they got soooo big...
Wowwwwwwww!!!
I got 3 plants...
and now I have to re~think it....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by LandOfOz on June 16, 2006 03:23 PM
Your broccoli looks great! What zone are you in? I'm in zone 6 and would like to plant some if the timing is appropiate.

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by woodchuck on June 16, 2006 04:54 PM
Weezie, you have PLENTY of room for more, plant more than 3, broccolli freezes very well, and has a long frig shelf life.

Sparagus, them be some mighty big plants, whatcha feedin 'em.? Mine would be dwarfed by yours, and wouldn't need a magnifying glass to see the head. [Wink] Say, how did you get that graphic in the picture?

I have GOT to get some pics to you guys, we were forcasted an 8day string of t-storms so I thought ther'd be plenty of time to play with photobucket, but now only one day with scattered showers so I can't help but stay in the garden if possible( first the kids of course), I even have a plan to put a BIG sandbox next to the garden fence just so they will be close at hand while I spend more time with the plants.

You garden addicts have really gotten to me, instead of the Andy Griffith show during naptime it's now 'tending time'. [Wink]
by weezie13 on June 17, 2006 12:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by woodchuck:
Weezie, you have PLENTY of room for more, plant more than 3, broccolli freezes very well, and has a long frig shelf life.

That is such an understatement...
Not to hi~jack the post, but I am begging for 2 more beds... I don't have room for all I grow already, and I don't grow Broccoli already...
or califlower, or cabbage my mom wanted...
I grow several varieties of tomatoes, and cuke's..
but corn, acorns, pumpkins, zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, butternut squash.. etc.. etc.. and they all sprawl..

Anyhow, love the pictures' there 'Sparagus,
gave me a better understanding of how plants look.. *or so*
Woodchuck, would love to see the pictures of yours, so I can see what the other variety looks like...(I haven't planted mine yet, so if I see yours', I may know how to place them better..
Looking at 'Sparagus', I better find one place at a time for them..)

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by cookinmom on June 17, 2006 03:45 AM
Wow, I want to plant some! Anybody know how it holds up in the heat? I'm wondering if I started it from seeds now, maybe it would be late August/September before it got around to making heads? Then it would cool off a little and maybe it would work?

[dunno]

-
Real women don't have hot flashes -- we have power surges!
by woodchuck on June 17, 2006 03:55 AM
While finishing the weeding this morning I read the plant tag, Green Comet, is the variety, and so far on the tallest plants; 20" , the crown is only 12-14", so not a big space grabber.
by Amigatec on June 17, 2006 04:27 AM
I like to plant some about August, and if the weather doesn't get too cold, they should last until November.

I will probably start my sets about the First of Aug.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by 'Sparagus on June 17, 2006 08:19 AM
quote:
Sparagus, them be some mighty big plants, whatcha feedin 'em.? Mine would be dwarfed by yours, and wouldn't need a magnifying glass to see the head. [Wink] Say, how did you get that graphic in the picture?
Fish emulsion, 1 1/2 tsp per gallon. And lots of my home made compost in the soil, and in the holes at planting time.

I use Photoshop to get my pics ready to go in Photobucket, so the text tool is one of the options.

Broccoli is a cool weather crop, so I hear [teacher] Im planning on starting more seeds mid summer....well the Farmer's Almanac says I should do it the beginning of August, for my zone, 6A.

Ive heard you can keep a broccoli plant going all summer and have it revive in the Fall.

[flower]
by Rosepetal on June 17, 2006 08:30 AM
Amazing sparagus, [thumb] [thumb]

You've got yourself some healthy looking plants there. [flower]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by woodchuck on June 17, 2006 09:14 AM
See, now I have never fertilized my plants, I prep the soil base with mower collected leaves/grass and till it in during fall and sppring for any size garden, and when they are smaller plots, like 15'x15' I'll remove some soil and a put in a mix of 1/3topsoil, 1/3 compost, 1/3 peatmoss, and till that in making a very rich base and it has gotten my by in drought verywell.

Is fish emulsion really just poo, or ground up body,guts,and bones? Where do the fish come from, ocean fish have lots of contaminents that once added to your soil can not be removed.
by 'Sparagus on June 17, 2006 01:45 PM
Im not sure but I think it's probably the ground up stuff. Fish poo is great, that is all I ever used on houseplants (dirty fish tank water) and my oldest is 14 1/2 years old!! As far as contaminents, I just cant go there. Mercury is dangerous....it's also natural! [dunno]

[flower]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: broccoli| Next thread: Broken Aloe Plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: