The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How long does it take to germinate? this is a keeper

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by krazykatpawz on May 10, 2005 11:48 PM
I've started some Swamp Daisy, Swamp Hibiscus, & Confederate Rose seeds in the little Jiffy/peat pots. It's been about 3 weeks and none of them look as though they're going to pop up any time soon.

Is it about time to give up on these seeds? I'm more than a little frustrated with them at this point. Am I being impatient, or looking for something to happen that never will? Thanks for any help.

"Those who are unique, change the world. Those who are the same, keep it that way." >^..^<
by MissJamie on May 11, 2005 01:46 AM
well I'm having the same problem with the jiffy pots. the seeds I planted aren't doing A THING at all! and I even planted fast sprouting things like morning glories and sunflowers and pumpkins in them and they still aren't doing anything and that has been about a month [Eek!] [Mad] [Roll Eyes] I just bought some plastic drinking cups today at walmart and I'm gonna try that so hopefully that'll work...plastic containers work better for me for some reason [dunno] good luck!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Bill on May 11, 2005 02:38 AM
Rose seeds take 21-25 days for germination in the best of circumstances. Stratification (chilling) at 40 degrees F. for 4-6 weeks will speed the germination along but you gotta be patient!
I'm not familiar with Swamp Hibiscus or Daisies. Do you know their botanical name?

-
by JV on May 11, 2005 07:28 AM
It took my Manhot about 2 weeks to sprout using the jiffy mini green house. My ROS took about 5 weeks all are doing great. Like Bill said the need to be chilled I chill mine for about 2 weeks at around 38 deg. f.. Then I scarify the ROS and Hibiscus seeds and soak for 24 to 36 hours in warm water I also put a little root harmone in the water so far I have had fairly good results. [Wink]
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by SN on May 12, 2005 02:35 AM
Jimmy,

What methods do you use for scarification? There is a type of plant I want to grow, but have hesitated thus far because of it being necessary to scarify.

Thanks~

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

by krazykatpawz on May 12, 2005 05:29 AM
Bill,

I believe the botanical name for the Swamp Hibiscus is Hibiscus moscheutos. After much research, I now know the correct name of the other is Swamp Sunflower (Helianthus angustifolius).

Hope this info helps.

kkp [kitty]

"Those who are unique, change the world. Those who are the same, keep it that way." >^..^<
by Bill on May 12, 2005 06:22 PM
The Swamp Hibiscus (Hibiscus moscheutos) seed must be scarified (I use a single stroke of an emery board to nick the seeds covering) OR the seed can be soaked in room temperature water for 24-48 hours. (as JV said) Hibiscus seeds require a soil temperature of 70-75 degrees F. for germination which can take anywhere from 15 to 30 days.

Swamp Sunflower (Helianthus angustifolius) seeds don't require any special treatment but they may take several months to germinate, so be patient!

-
by Deborah L. on October 16, 2006 11:21 AM
Bill, you sure know your stuff ! [thumb]

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on November 15, 2006 01:58 AM
good info, thanks to bill and all who put the effort into answering! [kissies]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: