The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Baby Zucchini

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: my babies- gettin some sun| Next thread: My back porch update »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on June 15, 2006 06:07 AM
Here is a picture of my baby zucchini. I know we always let them grow at least a foot or so, but I couldn't resist, and they were delicious. We ate them raw with a dip.

-

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by johnCT on June 15, 2006 06:15 AM
Great lookin squash Rose! I like them better when they're small. Besides....it seems like every time I say that I'll let them grow one more day, they end up 18" long and 6" thick. [Big Grin] [dunno]

John - Zone 6
by eClaire on June 16, 2006 09:28 AM
they look great! i have tiny ones right now, I keep hearing that they grow quickly so i am checking them every day now.

yummy!

Claire
by Mitzi on June 16, 2006 09:46 AM
Congratulations! I can't wait for mine either!
by Amigatec on June 16, 2006 10:08 AM
Mine has died!! And my Squash is not doing well either!!

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by LandOfOz on June 17, 2006 04:03 AM
How big are the leaves on your zucchini plants? I've got a mystery plant (which is definitely a cucurbit) and it's got HUGE leaves--bigger than our dinner plates. Does your zucchini have gargantuan leaves??

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Amigatec on June 17, 2006 04:22 AM
I think I have bugs eating my Zucchini.

The leaves aren't spotted, but the vine next to the ground are soft and falling apart.

-

-

-
 -
by LandOfOz on June 17, 2006 04:50 AM
I could be wrong but that looks like the bacterial wilt you get from cucumber beetles that bore into your stems, then leave some fungus behind. The fungus lives in your plants and slowly kills it. Not much you can do once the plant is infected. You might want to Look here for more information on this--see if it looks like whats going on.

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Rosepetal on June 17, 2006 08:36 AM
LandofOz,

I'm not sure what you mean by gargantuan leaves, but yes my leaves are as big as dinner plates.

Amigatec,

I'm sorry to see your dead zuc. Wish I could send you some plants for I have too many.

We're having a rainy and windy spring so far, so I decided to leave my zucchini inside my greenhouse. Now I'm not sorry I did this, for I can eat zucchini already.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Rosepetal on June 17, 2006 08:42 AM
This is what my greenhouse zucchini looks like.

-

I planted some marigolds between each zucchini.

-
 -
by Longy on June 17, 2006 08:44 AM
Amigatec, remove all the rotted leaves and stems, cut them off with a sharp knife and put them in the garbage, not the compost. . I've got zuchs to come back from this problem by constantly removing the rotted bits and watering the soil only, not the actual plant.
Clean the knife afterwards in metho to stop passing the problem on. I think it's a fungal problem, so spraying with some bordeaux may also assist.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Rosepetal on June 17, 2006 08:48 AM
Then I got my Hubby to build me some containers for my tomatoes, we never had luck with tomatoes out in the garden so this year I did it this way. They are doing great. [thumb]

-

I've never tried tomatoes in the greenhouse before, so I tho't I'd do the cherry tomatoes as a trial. When I see how great they're doing I now wish I'd have started the bigger variety ones. Next year!!! [muggs]

-
 -
by LandOfOz on June 17, 2006 09:08 AM
Thanks, Rosepetal. I think the plants I've got going are zucchini--the only problem is that I hate zucchini and never EVER eat it so I'm just wondering how the seeds got into my garden. I think I'll try the smaller zucchini like you. Other than raw what are some good ways to eat it? Could I put it on kabobs and grill it?

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Rosepetal on June 17, 2006 09:22 AM
Kabobs are great, or steaming them with a little salt and pepper, or letting them grow a bit then slice them 1/4 inch thick dip them in milk and egg mixture then in some spiced flour of your choice then lightly fry them on each side.

I also have a zucchini fritter recipe in our recipe section on the forum here, try that it's really good too.

Good luck!

-
 -
by Amigatec on June 17, 2006 02:52 PM
The only parts that are affected are within 6" from the ground.

Is it possible that I have over watered them??

-
 -
by Longy on June 18, 2006 05:11 AM

+++++++++++++++++++
I'd doubt that's the origin of the problem, but i guess it's possible. It's just a fungal prob that seems to get on them. Cleaning out dying off leaves seems to prevent it.

-
The secret is the soil.
by DeepCreekLake on June 18, 2006 11:25 AM
The male flowers on the zucchini plant are delicous fried! Has a buttery taste. Dip them into beaten egg then Italian bread crumbs and fry them, just as good as the Zucchini itself. Zuccini are great fried too. Cut them into slices (chips) or longwise, dip into beaten egg, and then into flour and fry. Sprinkle some dried grated Parmesean- and you have some good eating!
by Deborah L. on June 19, 2006 08:59 AM
Rosepetal, I love the pictures of your greenhouse ! I think it all looks wonderful ! [thumb]

-
 -
by Rosepetal on June 19, 2006 11:08 AM
You know its just been such a pleasure working in my greenhouse, I'm so glad I decided to keep all those veggies inside. [muggs]

We've had so much wind and heavy rains lately that I'm sure some of them would not have survived. [Frown] This way we're already eating some of them.

My daughter had the camera today, but I wanted to take some pics of my tiny gourds and squash starting to form, its just amazing and I wanted to share them with you, so I will do that later when I can get the camera again. [flower] [flower]

-
 -
by Rosepetal on June 21, 2006 08:22 AM
Here are some of my grouds starting to perform. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Aren't they the cutest things. [thumb]

-

-

I hope to get quite a few different ones together.

-
 -
by Rosepetal on June 21, 2006 08:27 AM
This is what my squash plants are doing. Lots of blooms.

-

And lots of small fruits so far.

-

-
 -
by johnCT on June 21, 2006 08:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Amigatec:
The only parts that are affected are within 6" from the ground.

Pat, that looks like Squash Vine Borer damage. Not disease.

John - Zone 6
by joegardener on June 22, 2006 03:38 PM
the smallones are best. I used to let them grow to a foot or so andthey were good to brush with oil and spice put on the grill. My wife and daughter would not eat them so I started picking when they were 6 inches steamed them put some butter and seasoned spice on them. Now they love them. I have all the neighbors on my list for who gets the extras [grin]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: my babies- gettin some sun| Next thread: My back porch update »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: