The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Puppies that eat plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Pumpkins gone bad| Next thread: Puppy Chow/ White Trash »
Back to Thread index
by nif8170 on August 17, 2005 11:05 PM
Good Morning to you all...well, it is morning here at least. I have a rather urgent question. Besides keeping all of my plants 4 feet above the ground, how can I stop my puppy from chewing on them? So far, she has chewed up three hybrid Poplar seedlings as well as the parts I tried to root after her offense, a gardenia plant (several times), and two other house plants. Is there some organic substance I can spray or spread around to keep her away? I don't want to harm the puppy or the plants and am a complete loss. Thanks for any help you can give!
by Dixie Angel on August 17, 2005 11:18 PM
I bought some "No Chew" spray at Wal-mart's to spray on my Angel to keep her from chewing her stitches after surgery. Wonder if that would work if you sprayed it on the plants? Or maybe make some pepper spray? Some plants are hazardous to animals, so I hope you find something soon.

By the way...welcome to the forum. You will have lots of fun here and learn bunches about your plants. Hope you enjoy it here.

Dianna

-
 -
by Comanchero on August 17, 2005 11:24 PM
take some hot peppers make a pepper tea spray roun them seedlens and yor other plants that orta slow em down right smart
by nif8170 on August 18, 2005 12:04 AM
Thank you both for the input. I will stop at the market today for some hot peppers on my way to puppy training school. lol Will any kind of peppers do? I like sweet Italian peppers, so I have no idea what to look for. Also, should I cut them up or just boil them whole?

I am thinking that having a video camera handy after the spray is applied might be a good thing. My poor puppy! lol
by Comanchero on August 18, 2005 12:21 AM
like i said you need hot peppers like cayene jalapeno or habanero's sweet italian peppers wont do. yes you can boil them if you want it want hurt anything i cut mine up and let set fer a spell sos can get hot also put vinegar in too this also will keep other varmints offn yor plants
by nif8170 on August 18, 2005 12:24 AM
Gotcha! I will make some "tea" tomorrow, charge up the camera battery and see how it goes.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pumpkins gone bad| Next thread: Puppy Chow/ White Trash »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: