The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

WWYD? asparagus and moving

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: wrinkled venus fly trap!| Next thread: YahooOOooOOoo!!! »
Back to Thread index
by Mrs.Spud on June 13, 2006 09:01 AM
I have an asparagus bed i was going to plant TODAY. Now, it seems we'll be selling this place and buying another, in about 2 or 3 months...I am hoping I will still own this property by killing frost.

What would you do with the asparagus? not plant? throw out the crowns or could I move them if I had another bed ready at the new place.

I never knew gardening could be so traumatic.

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by 'Sparagus on June 13, 2006 12:47 PM
Dont let my screen name fool you, Im no expert! [Big Grin]

Here's what Id do. Plant them in pots, and take them along. Maybe they will make it, maybe not. I think they'd have a better chance that way than being planted and dug up so soon. If you dont want to do that, Id plant them and dig them up when you move, and see what happens. Better than tossing them!

[flower]
by Amigatec on June 13, 2006 01:54 PM
Some people say you can move Asparagus. I think I would wait until you have a bed ready. But I think Asparagus needs to be planted in the spring so that it can 'fern' out in the summer.

I let mine grow and this spring I took the lawn mower to it and mowed it all down, it took some of the plants a long time to start growing this year, but they all finally came up.

It fact most of them came up so fast, I missed out on picking them, the few I did eat were wonderful.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: wrinkled venus fly trap!| Next thread: YahooOOooOOoo!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: