The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

rabbits

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Rabbits| Next thread: Rabbits »
Back to Thread index
by Tamara from Minnesota on August 02, 2005 01:20 AM
Here is a picture of a bunny I caught in my yard yesterday. I let it go and then ran into 4 of its siblings in the garden through the day. I have tried everything to keep them out this season. I never had any before but the neighbor who is very close built a shed by my garden and doesn't keep his yard in good condition and there are a family of rabbits living under the shed. I tried garlic, moth balls and that sort of thing earlier; then fox urine. Nothing works once they are established! Next year I will fence (a big pain when working in the garden to have to go around!) but cannot this year. If there is anything I could try for the rest of the season please let me know. I want to grow some fall lettuce but know I will just be giving it to the rabbits. Should I give them a bale of hay? or is that a bad idea?
 -

-
by obywan59 on August 02, 2005 02:32 AM
Are you talking about a putting up a permanent fence next year? I put up temporary fencing around my gardens and peach trees this year to keep out the rabbits and groundhogs. I just bought some green metal fence posts from Lowes and spaced them about 15 feet apart. The ones I bought are 4 footers, which means they are 3 feet tall after you pound them into the ground. (easy to step over) Then I got some rolls of black mesh deer fencing (also from Lowes). They come in 7 by 100 foot rolls for $11.95 or so. I think the fence posts were $2 and something a piece. I just attach the fencing to the little "hooks" on the posts and then pull it tight between the posts. I have had zero groundhog damage in my gardens except where some tall pea vines at the end of the rows were leaning right next to the fence. It only took me an hour or two to put the fence up around an 1800 square foot garden area. I left the fencing doubled and lapped the bottom 6 inches or so out away from the fence and then put mulch over that part so the animals couldn't nose their way underneath.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by thebearswoman on August 04, 2005 09:47 PM
Well maybe lead poisoning! No just kidding! I used a have-a-heart trap & relocated some squirrels that were eating my bulbs. I think it would work just as well on rabbits.Probably get a trap at any Menards, Ace Hardware, etc. Well good luck! The fence would be a good way too!!
by The Plant Doc on August 05, 2005 04:30 AM
IT'S WABBIT SEASON!!! ah ah ah ah ah [Smile]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Tamara from Minnesota on August 05, 2005 05:47 AM
I am pretty close to trapping them all (it is sure easy to catch the babies), but instead, for now, I bought them a bale of hay. I am sure nice! [Cool] Maybe I will use the hay to lure them into a trap later on. I will fence next year- begrudgingly. [thumb]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rabbits| Next thread: Rabbits »
Back to Thread index