The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Help| Next thread: HELP!!! »
Back to Thread index
by AnnieP. on May 13, 2004 04:15 PM
Hi all,
I'm P. and am a newbie here. I was told to come to this category for more help with a problem I'm having. We recently planted a Japanese Maple out by our pond. It gets morning sun, afternoon shade, well-drained, acidic soil,and is planted in rich dirt. All of a sudden it's started dropping its leaves like crazy! What's wrong? Can we fix this? Its been planted for about a month and this started happening about 3 days ago. Please help! Thanks! P. [wayey]
by gardenmom32210 on May 14, 2004 02:33 PM
Have you been watering it every day? Ive discovered that when I put in a tree it does best if it is thoroughly watered every day for about a month until its firmly established. I had the same problem with my plum trees. I think it was some kind of transplant shock,it lost all of its leaves but with all the watering it is now putting out new leaves and is recovering just fine. Hope this helps.

Karen [grin]
by moondance on May 14, 2004 03:12 PM
Just a warning for you-Japanese bettles just love that tree. I had one in my front yard and they ate it up. Just a heads up.
by AnnieP. on May 14, 2004 08:09 PM
Thanks, guys, for the help, the hope, and the heads up! Transplant shock sounds like a very viable explanation. Will continue watering each day... and watch for Japanese Beetles! Thanks again! P. [Smile]
by weezie13 on May 14, 2004 08:28 PM
AnnieP,
Give it a little "juice" too,
like a Shultz Plus 10~60~10....
That will help alot with transplant shock....
The high middle number is for helping with
flowering, fruiting and or rooting....

And make sure the ground is NOT DRY when you water with this solution.....you want the dirt around the plant moist then water with it...
And a little on the leaves won't hurt (*foliar feeding*) either!

Please keep us posted on how your tree is doing!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help| Next thread: HELP!!! »
Back to Thread index