The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

When to remove the black plastic for heat loving plants?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: When to re-pot?| Next thread: When to start planting in Mi. »
Back to Thread index
by 'Sparagus on May 31, 2006 12:32 PM
Hi Ya'll!

I have black plastic under my tomatoes, future watermelons and okras. Wondering when I should take it off....it has started to get really HOT around here! The tomatoes Im pretty sure dont need it anymore. They look amazing and are getting ready to flower.

The watermelons and okra plants Im not sure about. I know they are heat lovers but I dont want to overdo it....plus that stuff is so [flower] ugly! The sugar babies are just seedings and the okras I started indoors 7 weeks ago. They are in raised beds on my warmest southern facing side.

Thanks for any opinions guys and gals!!!

[flower]
by peppereater on May 31, 2006 01:22 PM
'sparagus...you could remove the plastic, or you could mulch over the top if you provide a way for water to get to your plants' roots. You don't need the heating effect anymore, but mulch would block the intense heat of the sun. Plastic, though I have never used it, will keep down weeds, You might try putting down weep irrigation hoses under the plastic, then put the plastic back down and mulch, or you could yank it up and mulch well. Different people have different methods. I grow weeds! [Big Grin]
I'll figure it all out one day! [Big Grin] [thumb]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Longy on June 01, 2006 12:51 AM
I'd remove the plastic, cause the soil needs to breathe as do the plant roots and the critters in the soil. Mulch to hold the moisture and retain a constant soil temperature. Those vegies like it hot but the roots are best kept cool relative to summer daytime temps.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: When to re-pot?| Next thread: When to start planting in Mi. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: