The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

heat

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by super_whitney on May 13, 2004 03:53 PM
i live in alabama and i want to plant a flower and or herb bed between my drivewat and brick house on the west side of the house so it will be getting the direct afternoon sun. what can i plant that will take the heat?
by obywan59 on May 13, 2004 04:05 PM
Many annual flowers are tolerant of a range of conditions, but stick to those whose tags say to plant in full sun and pay attention to watering. Most herbs also, prefer full sun.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by hdshovelhd on May 13, 2004 04:17 PM
I feel like I am popping up all over the site. Navigating is difficult when you're new to a place. Oh and welcome with a 'good morning'.

"Bloom where you are planted."
by loz on May 13, 2004 09:31 PM
Hi super whitney!!! Many annuals can withstand heat and sun.....marigolds, vincas, cosmos(my fav.), portulacas, celosia, dusy millers, gomphrena, strawflowers, salvia, and zinnias.....quite a few of these are even drought tolerant....

A few perennials that come to mind are tickseed, blanketflower, rudbeckia, veronica....

Basil likes full sun, lavender, oregeno, rosemary, sage.

Welcome to the forum!!!!! Hope you enjoy it here! [wayey]
by Jon on May 19, 2004 02:07 PM
Hi. My experience - out here in NV - is that many herbs grow well in the sun and are not a heat issue. Basil will bolt - but I don't know what you consider to be "heat" (try 110+ for here). Did great last year with zinnias and this year have the zinnias and marigolds. Also - some luck with gladiolas. Had a water issue last year that I corrected for this year (to prevent so much water runoff) and they are looking great - haven't flowered yet this year - but if the condition of the stalks/leaves are any indication - - wil be great (and we've already had a number of days well over 100).

Roses do well -- haven't put any minatures in yet - but preparing an are for them - but other roses are great. Also jasmine does well for me. (All of these are in direct sunlight).

Another option - would be a succulent garden.

Good luck and happy gardening

Jon
by Nako on May 19, 2004 07:15 PM
It may not be what you're looking for, but you can try cacti and succulents as well. Some cacti produce some very pretty flowers, and i think they'd do quite well down there. But if you're looking for green plants and flowering stuff, i'd go with what everyone else here is suggesting [flower]

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: