The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lets Talk Melons

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on May 29, 2006 06:33 AM
I'm so happy that both my banana melon and my aztec horned melons have both sprouted I just had to mention it here. How is everyone else doing with theirs?

-
 -
by Marina on May 29, 2006 06:41 AM
All mine died....so I am not doing much with them lol [Smile]

Just as a question...when did you plant yours, I think you're in the same zone as me and I am having no luck (even with some I bougt as started plants!).

Glad to hears your sprouted...congrads [Smile]

Marina-
by DeepCreekLake on May 29, 2006 08:00 AM
I started some French Charentais melons- they sprouted with the quickness! I planted them on a Sunday, by Wednesday they were sprouted out already. I did start them on heated seed mat. Started some Hales Best lopes, Honeydews too. Also watermelons- Im trying Moon & Stars,an heirloom watermelon with A large yellow spot (the moon) and lots of little spots (stars) on the rind.Also Charleston gray, Sugar babys, Crimsons sweets- hopefully they'll do ok.
by tkhooper on May 29, 2006 09:30 AM
I planted my melons on May 3rd. The banana melons began sprouting on May 15th. The Aztec Horned melons didn't sprout until yesterday May 27th. I had actually given them up as a loss. Both are planted in 100% Miracle gro garden soil. I was to lazy to mix it with my garden soil.

And yes we are definitely in the same zone. If your soil is like mine there is a lot of clay that needs to be amended. Most fruit and veggy vines like a lot of compost in their soil. They also like to be watered regularly.

I've heard great things about having a warming tray for germinating plants. They are way out of my price range but that's some very quick sprouts you got there.

Are the Sugar Babies the ones that are supose to be small enough to seem like an individual serving?

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on May 29, 2006 11:02 AM
Yes small round blackish green watermelons (sugar babys). My Germination mat set me back 23 dollars, at Agway- not too bad on price- well worth it! In fact I think I may buy a 2nd one for next season to get 2 flats going at the same time.
by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 29, 2006 05:18 PM
Deepcreeklake,

I planted over 14 watermelon plants. By accident. I now only have about 3 left. How are your's doing? Mine starts with pretty yellow flowers then they die and nothing grows expect the plant it self and boy is that thing getting out of had. I am in zone 9b.

Thank you,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by davida580 on May 30, 2006 05:56 AM
this is my first year gardening so i planted way to much of course. i have way to many melons but they are growing like weeds. i planted sugar baby,congo,crimson sweet,jubille,georga rattlesnake,black diamond,and charleston grey also six different kinds of cantaloupe. my watermelons are doing real good some have melons about the size of hot dog buns not any cantaloupes yet though but they are full of blooms wont be long. hope they continue, good luck with yours
by tkhooper on May 30, 2006 06:12 AM
First year gardener,

I think it has something to do with the temperature when they are blooming. If it gets to hot to quick they drop a bunch of their blooms. I also read that you shouldn't let all of your blossoms become fruit or they will be smaller and less well developed.

-
 -
by Firstyeargardener2006 on May 30, 2006 06:36 AM
Oh ok tkhooper,

I have been fighting with those melons since the season started down here in zone 9b. My best friends sister tried to grow them also and had no luck. Well it's going to be a nice learing experince for me if they do grow. And if they don't there is always next year. lol

Thank you,
Nicky

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/ladyk24/

I sit in my vegetable garden so that I can see them grow.
by Frann on May 30, 2006 08:22 AM
I picked up a few plants from the local garden centre ... the Basteque/Batesque type (I think I must've thrown out the plant tag by accident -- I can't find it anywhere and can't remember how to spell the name [Razz] ). It's my first time growing watermelons -- any suggestions? I'm in a zone 5b, so no blossoms on the melons yet, but my tomatoes look great!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: