The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can I root avacado?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Tonya on May 29, 2006 12:29 AM
I am not sure how to do this, hubby says I can take the seeds and put one end in water and it will root...or something like that. [nutz]
Can anyone tell me the correct way to do this? and how long does it take to get results? Thanks in advance! [wavey] [grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by tkhooper on May 29, 2006 12:35 AM
Hi Tonya,

There is a fact sheet for avocados that Bill made that will give you all the information you need. For me personally I have better luck in soil then I do in water. And you have to remember that you have to plant them outside after they get about a foot or so tall or they will begin to die. Also in order to get fruit from an avocado you need to have both a male and a female plant. Also the trees like a lot of space.

-
 -
by Tonya on May 29, 2006 01:06 AM
Thanks tk! I realized after I posted that there was a sheet... I am going to try my hand at this...not sure how well I wil do, but...I'll keep ya posted! [flower]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by tkhooper on May 29, 2006 06:29 AM
I sprouted 3 this year and they are all outside now doing fine. Just be very very patient because they do take forever to sprout.

-
 -
by art on May 31, 2006 12:11 PM
Tonya
take an avocado seed,remove the skin (optional)they claim it sprouts faster.now stick 3 toothpicks on it's side equal distance apart closer to the pointed side of the seed.place the seed in a glass or something similar.the large part of the seed down in the water.place in a window sill so that it gets plenty of light.change the water every week.some seeds sprout in about three weeks. i had one seed from florida that took one year to sprout.

art
by art on June 06, 2006 12:02 PM
JayF

[Icon 1] posted May 05, 2006 01:01 PM
[Profile for art] JayF,
yes avocados do well in Texas.just be careful with frost.
here is a site that lists 2 nurseries in your area
and also has a lot of info on growing fruits.
also i'm sending you a site on the gillogly tree which is a dwarf avocado that can supposedly be
grown inside but i believe it will do better outside.hope this info helps you.keep me posted
on your venture.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2092
don gillogly avocado
art

art

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: