The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

arugula

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Artisan Honey Wheat Loaves| Next thread: Arum »
Back to Thread index
by lookie on May 28, 2006 09:47 AM
Hi,
just learned about this peppery flavour green for salads etc. I read that it prefers cooler springs and falls rather than hot summers.

Can anyone tell me how large it grows? can anyone post a picture? would one seed or buy plants? I live in southern BC very near the US border of Washington.
by DeepCreekLake on May 28, 2006 11:09 AM
Arugula is fairly bitter, it adds sharpness to salads. Never tasted anything peppery about it- to be honest I do not care for the taste.
by peppereater on May 28, 2006 11:24 AM
It has a taste like a cross between peanut butter and aluminum foil! [Big Grin]
I think I could get to like the taste if I used small amounts in salad, and i think I tasted it in mid-summer, when the taste is strong. I've heard that in cool weather it develops a mild flavor. I don't think it dies off in summer, I think it's just the taste. As far as I know, and I don't know much, it's mostly grown from seed, and the plants I've seen were about knee high.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by ChristinaC on May 28, 2006 12:21 PM
Arugula is wonderful!! I absolutely love it and I choose to grow it because it's so expensive to buy in grocery stores! I treat it like any other lettuce. I grow all my lettuce over the summer. I plant it all over the place..in my veggie garden, in my flower beds, full sun, full shade...whatever. It's definitely the easiest vegetable I've ever grown. I start mine from seeds (direct sow)..I always harvest mine before it gets too tall (definitely before knee high) and throw new seeds down. I'll take pics in a bit. Just gotta digest my dinner and I'll get back outside and get some pics for ya. [thumb]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Artisan Honey Wheat Loaves| Next thread: Arum »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: