The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Blackberry Woes....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Marina on May 28, 2006 03:58 AM
Hello all and I hope you guys are all having a great weekend! I have been noticing that our blackberry plant (bought ready to make us some blackberries this year) does not seem very happy.Some of the leaves are yellowing or curling and it is not flowering like it has been. Its garden buddies the rasberry bushes (Bought from the same place) that are on either side of him are happy and busy making berries.... I just don't know what could be (this is the same bed where the radishes failed to make radishes and where the sunflowers are having a tough time)
by weezie13 on May 28, 2006 04:47 AM
Do you have any pictures Marina???

The soil is the same?

The planting depth, did you plant them about
the same depth as the raspberries??

Do you have any Black Walnut trees around??

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Marina on May 28, 2006 05:11 AM
Weezie... Oh you know I do [Smile] (BTW as a side note, when I tried to reply to you PM it said your mailbox was full... just thought I would let you know [Smile]

Here are a few photos [Smile] I hope they wont die... I love love love love blackberries [Smile]

-

-

-

-
by Marina on May 28, 2006 05:13 AM
Also... I don't know what a black walnut tree is... I should look it up and see. Do those hurt the blackberries? The soil is the same soil as the rasberries are planted in and they are at the same depth (though we were told to mound the rasberries a bit and so we did)

Thanks [Smile]
by Greenthumb newbee on May 28, 2006 05:59 PM
Weezie13

Did you mention Black walnut trees????

I have 6 of them and I can send you a few starter trees if you want (esp since They keep growing where I try to plant my garden) I should have nuts in about a month or so.
by Greenthumb newbee on May 28, 2006 06:08 PM
Marina

Black Walnut trees can get VERY big. My small one is about 20 feet tall and the others (mature) are 30 feet + tall. They can get over 60 feet tall. I don`t know about Blackberries but my 2 Mullberry trees are doing just fine. In fact the berries are just starting to ripen thanks to al the rain over the last 2 weeks.

If you like I can send a pic.
by weezie13 on May 29, 2006 03:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Marina:
Also... I don't know what a black walnut tree is... I should look it up and see. Do those hurt the blackberries? The soil is the same soil as the rasberries are planted in and they are at the same depth (though we were told to mound the rasberries a bit and so we did)

Thanks [Smile]

Marina, why I mentioned the Black Walnut Tree is some plants can not grow at all by a BWT, because of the juglone, things can or can not grow by it..
* Here's a list of the things that are tolerant of it
* The Rubus occidentalis, Black Raspberry can.. (supposedly)

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on May 29, 2006 03:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Greenthumb newbee:
Weezie13

Did you mention Black walnut trees????

I have 6 of them and I can send you a few starter trees if you want (esp since They keep growing where I try to plant my garden) I should have nuts in about a month or so.

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Wink]
No thanksssssssssss, I have a ba~zillion of them around my very small property.... I can't believe how many are here... I have one that's got to be a 100 feet high, I swear, it's sooooooooo tall, and soooooo big, and there's nuts from one side of my property to the other side of my mom's property...
And I made compost out of them for a bunch of years without knowing about this stuff, or even knowing what the trees were actually, **I am not a tree person really, wished I was**

But Thank~Youuuuuuu very much for the offer, honestly, that was very kind of you...

*in fact one year, when I was pregnant, I had used my sweeper to sweep the lawn and thru them in a pile and never got back to finishing putting the pile anywhere's cause I had the baby, and that following spring, and I am NOT exaggerating, I had over a 100 trees in that pile...
I called a friend of mine that grows Christmas trees if he wanted any... he was down to the house sooooo fast to snap them puppies up, it was unbelievable..*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on May 29, 2006 03:17 AM
Marina,
~~~>What is the soil like???
What kind?? Garden, bagged??

I have only grown wild blackberries, so I may not be too much of a help, but where they grow here,
they like the rich forrest soil...
*Mother Natures' compost*, half sun or dappled shade...

~~~>and when you planted them, did you plant the stem/crown right at the same level they were in the pot/container when you recieved them?
Not deeper???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on May 29, 2006 03:20 AM
How many canes do you have???

Try an experiment...

The tips of the canes will root, try bending one over and letting it touch the ground..
*don't force it, and you might have to wait for it to get a bit taller too to do this*

But they multiply by runners' roots, and the tips of the cane's touch the ground and root that way..

Also, the following year, that cane will die, and new shoots re~appear in the spring from underground...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Marina on May 29, 2006 06:05 AM
Thanks all [Smile]

I looked and don't see any black walnut trees anywhere (but then again I could be wrong, lol) but I didn't see any nuts litering the ground last year either.

The soil is bagged mircle grow garden soil.

Looking at the photos does it look like its dying or is that maybe transplant shock? (I buried it at the level it was in when I bought it). I am just not sure whats normal and what isn't it. The tree/bush is still growing new buds. Should I clip off the yellow leaves?

Marina-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: