The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Green beans plant with malformed leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Green Beans| Next thread: Green Beans- leafless variety »
Back to Thread index
by beznsarah on May 25, 2006 04:20 AM
My pole green bean plant's leaves are starting to curl up or change into a krinkly shape that is hard to describe. Is this normal or is it the signs of some kind of disease? Other than that the plant looks normal, no spots, etc. It has not yet started flowering or fruiting but it is growing vigourously.

Thanks

See picture:

http://tinyurl.com/jxlkq
by LandOfOz on May 25, 2006 05:52 AM
I can't believe my eyes, that looks like what is happening to my peppers. [Frown] I've been digging around the internet and it looks like maybe a magnesium deficiency? If that is the problem, you can add 1 Tablespoon Epsom salt to a gallon of water and put on plants. I guess epsom salts are high in magnesium... I'm beginning to think that I'm going to need to get a soil test. Maybe that would help you too.

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Longy on May 25, 2006 07:25 AM
Have you been feeding them with a high nitrogen fertilizer?

-
The secret is the soil.
by beznsarah on June 11, 2006 07:45 AM
No i haven't added any additional nitrogen other that what I added to the soil prior to planting. I've read that green beans make their own nitrogen.
I've had my soil tested and MG was at normal levels. Maybe it's nothing to worry about?
by Longy on June 11, 2006 07:52 AM
It looks like too much nitrogen. (Though maybe i'm dreamin). I've seen it before, as Land of Oz said, on peppers and also tomatoes and i put it down to nitrogen. However, it's only one cluster of leaves so i wouldn't worry about it too much.
BTW. Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate:-)

-
The secret is the soil.
by LandOfOz on June 11, 2006 02:12 PM
It took a while, but my peppers are finally pulling out of their crinkly-leaves stage. I have totally, completely, and utterly stopped fertilizing everything in my garden. And now I even got a teeny-tiny pepper growing on one of them. All I had to do was wait. Apparently patience is a virtue after all!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by stokes4show on June 19, 2006 09:02 AM
Mine is doin the same thing..and i am gettin fruscrated but.. it is not even flowering yet
by LandOfOz on June 19, 2006 09:45 AM
Probably too much nitrogen stokes, it took mine about 3 weeks to pull out of it. Have you been fertilizing it? If so, with what? You might want to stop for several weeks and see if the leaves start to flatten out.

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Green Beans| Next thread: Green Beans- leafless variety »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: