The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Starting a Loquat Fruit Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Starting a Bird of Paradise| Next thread: Starting a new lawn »
Back to Thread index
by philthis on May 21, 2006 11:38 PM
Need help on starting a loquat tree from my neighbors tree... can i just stick a branch in the ground? Been checking into grafting stuff but all sounds so complicated. Want fruit and tree now don't wanna wait for seeds or seedling.
I guess another option or question rather, might be... Can i dig up a mature tree and transplant it with any luck???
by Longy on May 23, 2006 09:02 AM
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/loquat.html
Here's a site which details loquat culture. Doesn't sound good for cuttings i'm afraid. Seed seems the most reliable but the fruit may be inferior.
Best seems to be grafting. Anyway, have a read and glean what you can.

-
The secret is the soil.
by papito on May 24, 2006 10:43 AM
Most Loquat trees [ERIOBOTRYA] are sold as seedlings. My Loquat trees [E. japonica] were grown from seeds. They are doing just find in containers and giving me fruits, some are in ripening stage now.

From Sunset Western Garden Book:

quote:
If you want to harvest a crop, look for a grafted variety such as "Champagne" [best in warm areas, "Gold Nugget" [best in cooler regions], or "MacBeth" [exceptionally large fruit.]

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by El mequetrefe on June 09, 2006 10:20 AM
starting from a loquat tree is quite easy. Cuttings are unreliable, i never had one from cuttings, tough i heard root cuttings will work.

select a nice branch about the thickness of a pencil and make an air layer (marcotting). If you don't know the technique, search google. I use ordinary garden soil and plastic bags from the mart. Wait about 2 or 3 weeks and you have enough roots to suport the new plant. I've propagated some new plants, that may also be used as rootstocks.

HTH.

Valter
by art on June 13, 2006 11:29 AM
if you have access to a mature tree,transplanting is easy.take the tree out and transplant it emediately.
keep it well watered for the first few days.cut one third of the top folage off.plant it about 6 inches above original ground level. you should have fruit the following year.

art

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Starting a Bird of Paradise| Next thread: Starting a new lawn »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: