The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

SEEDLING ER!! Watermelon seedlings fell off shelf!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Seedless Fruit| Next thread: Seedling Help »
Back to Thread index
by 'Sparagus on May 20, 2006 02:07 PM
My 2 week old (BEAUTIFUL!) sugar baby seedlings just got knocked off the light shelf, fell about 5 1/2', some uprooting and leaf/stem damage occured, but nothing too horrible....are they toast?? I have plenty more seeds left to plant. Just wondering if these have a chance. Are they pretty tough? This is my first time growing 'em.

Thanks for any thoughts!

[flower]
by Danno on May 20, 2006 04:26 PM
lol we must be some how connected! Mine did the exact same thing today. . was windier than all hell outside and i had them in the windowsill getting sunshine. POOF!!!! [scaredy]
by Longy on May 20, 2006 04:50 PM
I'd direct plant some seeds where they are to grow as they aren't too fussed on transplanting. You may be best to just plant the seedlings straight out too as they won't like being moved twice. Water with some seaweed or kelp extract to minimise shock.

-
The secret is the soil.
by 'Sparagus on May 21, 2006 12:43 AM
Danno: How do yours look today? Mine seem ok.

Longy: So you think I should plant today.....I was going to wait till next week, Im warming the soil with black plastic and I was just getting to putting the compost in today, and I wanted to let that cook in the soil for another week before planting.

Actually before this happened, I was going to post about being too attached to them to give 2 the axe (I have 4 seedlings in a container, and only 2 will be going in the 4'x4' raised bed together). Maybe I should plant all 4 and see who looks the best and then...chop... [Eek!]

[flower]
by Wrennie on May 21, 2006 01:45 AM
I would put in all 4 and thin the 2 weaker ones later.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Longy on May 21, 2006 09:04 AM
So you think I should plant today.....I was going to wait till next week,
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LOL. Whatever blows your hair back 'sparagus.
Just to clarify my suggestion, to replace the seedlings into the pots and then a week or two later to transplant them again will double the risk of transplant shock. So i figured just do it once.
I'd also poke some seeds in the ground where you do transplant the seedlings as well, so that if the seedlings don't survive you will have backups. They will germinate once the soil gets warm enough.
And yes, i'd plant all 4 out and see who wins. You may lose some to pests or whatever yet too...

-
The secret is the soil.
by 'Sparagus on May 22, 2006 02:29 AM
quote:
Whatever blows your hair back 'sparagus.
[Big Grin]
by 'Sparagus on May 26, 2006 05:11 AM
quote:
to replace the seedlings into the pots and then a week or two later to transplant them again will double the risk of transplant shock.
*SIGH* I wish I would have followed your advice here. I planted them last night (almost a week after the "accident") and first thing this morning they looked ok, but I watered them a little and now they are looking sad. [Eek!]

Stems are strong but leaves are floppy. They got some dilute fish emulsion water last night.

Im replanting, but still feel sad for those babies!! [tears]
by Longy on May 26, 2006 08:35 AM
They got some dilute fish emulsion water last night
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Seaweed extract. That'll perk 'em up. it's so good that stuff. Once at transplanting and again a week later. They don't even know they moved!

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Seedless Fruit| Next thread: Seedling Help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: