The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

seedling trouble!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Seedling tomatoes| Next thread: Seedlings »
Back to Thread index
by piersonmc on May 19, 2006 12:13 PM
I'm having seedling trouble!!! I've read on the internet that if seedlings are growing tall, skinny, and thin, than it is a light problem. I've also read that tomato plants can be buried extra deep, all the way up to their bottom leaves to combat this, in order to develop a strong, healthy stem... Is this true of all plants? I have an indoor garden of a variety of vegetables and plants, all tall and skinny, and I need help to save them.
by hjolicoeur on May 19, 2006 02:07 PM
if you look on the tomato plants up and down the stalk of them there are hair like fibers, these will turn into roots if you bury them up to the first set of leaves. This one is true.

I am not sure of what other plants also do this.

If it is a vine plant.. cukes, squash, etc it should be ok to just plant without extra burrial. I'm not sure about all plants having the same ability as tomatoes.

Hope this helps some.

~Heidi
by peppereater on May 19, 2006 02:39 PM
Don't do that with everything. Tomatoes and some plants like it, but you'll find that all of your plants will bush out once they're outside, as long as they get what they need, and adequate sun, in particular.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by dodge on May 19, 2006 03:16 PM
piersonme,

Tomatoes, I think they misquoted that,,You dont bury them deep..Your just lay them down in a row and cover all of it except about 8 inches.. they root right up the vine.
Yes lack of light does that.. i try using the sunny window.....Most use flouresant lights ..

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by johnCT on May 20, 2006 01:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by piersonmc:
Is this true of all plants?
Definitely not! [shocked]

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Seedling tomatoes| Next thread: Seedlings »