The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hot pepper plant spacing question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by DeepCreekLake on May 18, 2006 12:53 PM
I have a bunch of hot peppers growing (indoors started from seed). What spacing seems to work best for hot peppers when final planting in the garden? Most seed packs seem to state 18 inches between plants. Ive read that 1 foot between plants works too. I am planting in raised rows at 3 feet apart. I am growing Cayennes, Jalepenos M, Jalepenos Early, Habeneros, Thai Poinsettas, Thai Dragons, Santa Fe's, Serrranos, Anahiems, and have a few Cherry Bombs, tabasco, and one Carribean red. What seems to work best?
by Longy on May 18, 2006 04:37 PM
If you have 3 feet between the rows, then you could space them a little closer together. It's really going to depend on the quality of the soil they're in. Why not plant a row at 12" then one at 15" then one at 18" and decide for yourself?

-
The secret is the soil.
by comfrey on May 19, 2006 12:45 PM
I usually plant most of mine one foot apart and sometimes they end up alittle crowded, but for the smaller ones it works just fine, I do this with Jalapenos & Cayenne...the Carribean red will also do fine at a foot between the plants. The others you mention I have no idea as I haven't grown them.

-
 -
by dodge on May 19, 2006 01:11 PM
deepcreeklake

I put mine about a foot apart.. that wont kill them.. Aren't peppers fun to grow? I dont eat many , but grow them to give away mostly. I put them in stewed tomatoes to can.
Freeze some for pickle relish. The red ones make for a pretty relish .. Green and red.. Delicious.

Or we stuff them with pigs in a blanket. Stuffing peppers.
You sure do a lot.. What do you do with all of yours?

dodge [wavey]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by ranger on May 20, 2006 03:12 AM
One foot is good, I had read some years ago that peppers enjoy thier leaves to touch and yes I have seen the effect it does work.
ranger
by dodge on May 20, 2006 04:18 AM
ranger

Thanks,
keeping in touch. Ha ha That could be so. Some plants enjoy a crowd, in the roots, I know.
They are fun to watch.. Peppers.

This time I have planted rainbow peppers.. Have any experience with that? Some one online sent me those. We will see later.

dodge
[clappy] [clappy] [grin]

-
 -
by ranger on May 20, 2006 04:25 AM
We grow lots of peppers every year and make pepper jelly, goes great with cream cheese.
ranger
by dodge on May 20, 2006 07:00 AM
ranger,

I make raspberry, strawberry , peach ,or anything i get my hands on .

Do you just cook them down and add sugar/
Or would you share the recipe?

Who knows maybe I would like it/

I have lots of peppers frozen and might try..

dodge

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on May 20, 2006 12:41 PM
I read that peppers, can benefit from shading each other, to prevent sun scalding of the fruits, but 18 inches seems to be the norm guide listed on seed packs/labels etc. I am going to dry most of mine in the dehydrator, and grind into powders. Will also make Chili Oil for stir frys, and try chili vingear. May can some of the pickiling types for salsas etc.
by dodge on May 20, 2006 01:00 PM
DeepCreek,

Your doing well. Never seen any dried and ground. What do you use to grind it with.

Chili vinegar sounds good.. And salsa.

DOdge

-
 -
by ChristinaC on May 20, 2006 01:19 PM
I put my hot peppers in everything! I'm a little [nutz] when it comes to hot and spicy. People sweat just watching me eat. [Big Grin] I don't dry mine..they lose too much heat that way. I eat as many fresh as I can, I use them in my salsa and I freeze the others whole and plop in a handful when cooking, soups, stews, curries, stir frys, etc, etc, etc.

-
 -
by dodge on May 20, 2006 01:31 PM
christinac,

There must be differ strokes for different folks. I cannot eat a hot pepper.. My mouth burns so bad , i run for water. Even my fingers burn from touching them>>
Can you tell me why yours dont?
Am I sensitive?

dodge [shocked]

-
 -
by ChristinaC on May 20, 2006 01:39 PM
Dodge..I think most people would agree with you. My boyfriend has no idea how I can eat the foods I do...my family doesn't like any heat in their foods either. I can't explain it myself because my mouth does burn!! But for some reason I love it! It has something to do with endorphines. When your body feels pain, your brain automatically sends pleasure endorphines throughout your body...something like that..I read that somewhere...I'm probably wrong.

-
 -
by dodge on May 20, 2006 02:01 PM
Christinac,

I have had friends kids walk thru my garden and eat the peppers right off he plant. I guess it is born in you.
Now another odd thing , i am not ticklish. Everyone else seems to be. It took me a long while when I was a child, to figure out why they laugh when the ribs are touched.. i didnt know there was such a thing?///

[Embarrassed] )

dodge

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 20, 2006 02:05 PM
I wonder sometimes about food preferences being a gene thing.
I read that people who are repulsed by cilantro, as I am, it's in the genes whether you like cilantro or not.
I believe the same applies to coffee drinkers-I have never had a cup of coffee in my life, or tea either.
Have the same revulsion toward fish, seafood, meat, and alcohol.
It's like I didn't get an adult palate or something. That reminds me, gotta make a peanut butter sandwich, and where's my chocolate milk....
YUM ! [Embarrassed]

-
 -
by dodge on May 20, 2006 02:34 PM
Deborah L,

Make me hungry will ya.....I am thinkin of having some ice cream.. Oh ice cream is so good in our area......
Never seen a home here without it.
Not sure about drinks. I drink coffee black, most of my friends and family drink tea. Wonder if folks who eat alike, marry the like eaters?
Cant prove a thing in my house .

Dodge

-
 -
by Deborah L. on May 20, 2006 03:16 PM
[Big Grin]

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on May 21, 2006 12:16 AM
The reason why some people can or cant eat them is the differnce in taste buds. People are either "super tasters" meaning that they have very high senses in the taste buds, those are the one who really feel the heat of peppers. 50% of the population are this. The other 50 are non super tasters, who still feel the heat of peppers, but not as bad. It also believed the more pepper you eat the less sensitive you get to it. In fact hot peppers are believed to be addictive like a drug. Check out a couple good books written by Dave Dewitt. One is called the whole Chili pepper book, the other The Chili pepper encyclopedia. The later is an updated version of the first- but both books are great. It has many recipes, including medicinal uses for hot peppers!
by dodge on May 21, 2006 02:05 AM
DCL,

I am going to check that book out.
I firmly believe I am a super taster.. Even my hands taste it! ha ha ha
No way I can get addictive.. You know I love the smell of them cooking.. I use stuffing peppers in my stew tomatoes. And stir frys.. Love them cooked.
dodge [lala]

-
 -
by ChristinaC on May 21, 2006 02:30 AM
Hmm..I'm not sure about the super taster thing. There's a chemical in hot peppers called capsaicin..this what makes peppers "hot". Everyone's body reacts the same to it, in fact, it can literally burn the skin just like an open flame can..no matter how much heat you can stand, it will have the same affect on everyone. Just some people enjoy it. Here's why, this is a quote I found on the internet:

"And for those of you who don’t understand the appeal? It’s all about endorphin rush, like a runner’s high. Pepper-heads like me have developed a conditioned reflex whereby the burning sensation stimulates the release of opiate-like chemicals from the brainstem, inducing a euphoria not unlike a heroin buzz. Yes, this theory has been clinically verified."

So, it's like I mentioned earlier...it's the pleasure followed by the pain...because, believe you me...peppers burn me when I eat them too. But I can't stop eating them because for some reason, they "hurt so good." Does that make sense?

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 21, 2006 02:55 AM
That is true but some are more sensitive to capsaicin than others are .. They did a test during Hot Sauce week on the food network.. Some were a lot more sensitive than others were.. And even had the pure capsaicin extract.. It does release the endorphin rush you are talking about!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by dodge on May 21, 2006 03:15 AM
spring f

Thanks ,
I learnt a bundle on peppers on here.. I know they are excellent food.

But i like mine cooked..the neighbor wants me to take some hotties yearly, i say naw..

Guess in the winter it may heat one???/

dodge..aka barb [lala]

-
 -
by SpringFever on May 21, 2006 03:35 AM
Might Dodge.. Peppers are a heart healthy food they improve circulation..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by dodge on May 21, 2006 03:47 AM
SF [Eek!]

Does that mean I might get around more if I at peppers?

ha hah

dodge [lala]

-
 -
by dodge on May 21, 2006 03:49 AM
ate

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on May 21, 2006 06:09 AM
The books on peppers I have explains about the taste buds. Yes Capasium is the element that cause ther burning feeling. Theres alot of health benefits from hot peppers from blood pressure to digestion. You can even make a heat rub with hot peppers for aching joints! Not all hot peppers are bruning hot there are some that are mildly hot (low on the scoville scale). Bread, bannanas, ice cream or pudding can put out the fire in your mouth! Here is a good web page for all you Chiliheads out there, there growing, drying tips, and recipes.

Fiery Foods.com

Dave Dewitt is on that page it is the guy who wrote the books I was talking about. Very intresting reading and great web page too!
by dodge on May 21, 2006 07:32 AM
DCP
Thanks,

I keep on learning things.
Get to firey later..

Mowing lawn..Rain steady till today.. from last sunday.

dodge [lala]

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on May 21, 2006 08:27 AM
To answer someones question on how to grind dried, peppers- you use a coffee grinder. Buy a seperate unit from what you use for coffee (unless you like REAL HOT coffee!) Pulse it a few times for hot peppers flakes, or let it rip for powders!
by dodge on May 21, 2006 09:20 AM
DCL
Now you got me thinking.. Ideas for 2007
Spices are getting more and more expensive.. Chili pdr is one.
I think i have Corindar grow..Not sure yet.. Are you up on that one?

dodge

[lala]

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on May 21, 2006 12:30 PM
I have some Ciltantro seeds (Coriander is the seed form of Cilantro), that I plan on planting here shortly. I will do them in planter boxes on the deck, with some basil.
by dodge on May 21, 2006 12:42 PM
DCP

My corinder is about a foot tall already.. If that is what I have.. Planted last fall>??

Have to get a photo later.
What do we use it for?

dodge

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on May 22, 2006 12:25 AM
Coriander, is the seeds of Cilantro, which is also a seasoning. Cilantro is the leaf/plant form. Its mostly used in salsas, usally chopped up. I think Cilantro is like basil, in that you shouldnt let it go to flower, if you want to keep using the leaves.
by dodge on May 22, 2006 02:41 AM
DCL

Ok like parsley you can use it >

I will try for a photo today after rain goes.

dodge

-
 -
by elkwc36 on May 22, 2006 03:07 AM
Will add my $.02 worth. I was raised eating hot stuff. And can say that things I don't even taste any heat on will burn the next up. My sister who was like me got married and her husband can't eat hot stuff and after 25 years she can't either. I feel there is a desensitation(if that is a word) to the heat. I also use lemon juice concentrate after handling onions and peppers. Just wash my hands in it.
by dodge on May 22, 2006 05:06 AM
elkwe

Some one did say if your raised with it, you dont notice..Odd to change later? My fingers and lips burn soon as they make contact. Maybe it is addictive? Once on you no taste?/ Like beer or whiskey or drugs?? It is quite a topic.
I just wondered if we were the only ones like that. My man an I..All our families can eat them.
Your 2 cents are as good as anyone elses.
Thanks,

Dodge.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: