The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Chinese Lanterns

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tkhooper on April 29, 2005 08:13 PM
I have some seeds for these but were told they are aggressive. I've been trying to think of a way to keep them in one place in the garden. I checked out the price for a large planter and it was like 30.00 dollars way to much for something I would have to put underground where the criminal element wouldn't find it and walk away with it. Anyway trying to dig down deep enough to bury it in clay would probably defeat me. I really want them in the garden. Maybe I'll just let them take over an area. I don't know. Any ideas?

-
 -
by phoenix on April 29, 2005 08:21 PM
[wayey] tk
my mother-in-law has a bunch in her yard, that she manages to keep in check by "plucking" the young ones out the past 5 years her's have never been "out of hand" the ones she "plucked" are now in my yard [grin]
oh they are just in the ground not a container,mine are but i think they aren't doing good in it. i think they need to be in the ground
hope that helps [Wink]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by tkhooper on April 29, 2005 08:30 PM
Thank you Phoenix that helps alot.

If I can harvest the seeds I'll definitely put some aside for you if you want them.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 29, 2005 08:38 PM
Tammy,
You could dig just a wee~bit down into the ground,
say an couple of inches or 4 inches deep, then lay down some landscape fabric that water can go thru.... lay down some of your top soil and then plant on top....
The Chinese lanterns are done two ways, on a runner like along the ground, very easy that way to re~root if pulled out and grown into a different area....and they *the roots* just run along the landscaped fabric and will be easy for you to pull out and whatever you need.
And the plant also has one big orange ball *seed* inside the lantern part... and when it dries up *which as about 15 seeds inside, something along the lines of a tomato* but it takes a long time to grow from seed.

Anyhow, that may work for you...

The other suggestion I might make is to make your dirt very, very, very composted, decayed stuff, and the plants, when in that area start to get invasive, can be pulled out veryt easily!!!!

Weezie

I have a ba~zillion of them all over my back~40!
But are mowed in the lawn when they creep out into it..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by phoenix on April 29, 2005 08:44 PM
great stuff to know weezie [thumb] that helps me a little too [grin]

tk that would be great i dont know if mom-in-law will keep her's around for long she's not too fond of them [Wink]

-
 -
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by tkhooper on April 29, 2005 09:00 PM
I love them they are a childhood memory. We used to pick them and pop the lanterns after carrying them all over the nieghborhood. lol They are great as part of an ickybona(sp) floral arrangement, at least I think so. And of course they last forever.

I got so excited just thinking about it, I went out in the rain and planted them just before I read this post.

Read Disappointed down in the banterhall to find out what happened.

That will teach me to worry needlessly.

-
 -
by phoenix on April 29, 2005 09:04 PM
childhood memory for me too.
my nana had thousands of them in her yard.
she use to tell me that"the little people would use them at nite for lights" [grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: