The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Carrots and beets

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by DaisyM on May 16, 2006 03:52 PM
I come across an answer to my own question about stringy beets and in the process have found a suggestion for good carrots. The answer is right on my seed packet RICH, LIGHT, SANDY LOAM KEPT MOIST will produce a good crop of beets and carrots. It says that any soil that is well cultivated will produce a good carrot crop. I assume cultivated soil applies to the beets as well. Now, what do they mean by rich? Does this mean manure and compost mix? Is loam a black top soil? Sorry, I am not the best gardener and ask dumb questions. Hee, hee, is there a book out called, "Gardening for Dummies"?
by mater sandwich on May 16, 2006 04:35 PM
Actually there is a book with that title. I saw it last week at Books-a-Million.

Rich soil would be high in organic matter. Soil organic matter is the biologically active portion that drives the soil ecosystem and releases nutrients necessary for plant growth. Simply stating, rich soil is very fertile soil. Adding manure and compost to the soil is a good way to increase the organic matter.

Sandy loam has a soil texture that feels gritty. An example of sandy loam would consist of 60% sand, 15% clay, and 25% silt. Sandy soils feel gritty, clay feels sticky when wet, and silty soils are powdery when dry.

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by johnCT on May 17, 2006 01:22 AM
"Rich, light, well-cultivated, sandy loam" will produce a good crop of EVERYTHING!! [thumb] Root crops, in general, need deep, loose soil but especially carrots. The bags of manure/compost at walmart will help create good soil for your crops.

John - Zone 6
by DaisyM on May 17, 2006 08:26 AM
Mater and John, thank you for the replies. I will pick up some manure (I have compost) and will also pick up some peat moss. I don't understand, we've had enough rain yet my garden soil is so dry I can sift it with my hands?
by johnCT on May 18, 2006 06:55 AM
Daisy, I'd skip the peat moss unless your soil is on the alkaline side. Peat moss will lower the soil pH if you use enough of it. Not to mention it is outrageously expensive. Stick to compost, composted manure, dehydrated manure, etc. They add nutrients and organic matter while loosening the soil. Peat moss only helps the soil's water retaining ability and doesn't add much in the way of nutrients.

John - Zone 6
by dodge on May 19, 2006 01:29 PM
Did anyone metion fertilizer? Miracle gro is excellent.
The carrots and beets need loose soil for their huge size..
There are no dumb questions on here. Only dumb one, is the one not asked......
We try hard on here..;o)

Dodge .. good luck and keep askin. [flower]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by ranger on May 20, 2006 06:45 AM
the carrots will grow long and deep in well cultivated soil, beets have a long tap root but grow primarily at the surface.
ranger
by dodge on May 20, 2006 07:01 AM
Ranger

That is strange huh/

do you heel your beets? Mine get cory some.

dodge

-
 -
by DaisyM on May 20, 2006 08:39 AM
Thanks all for the replies. I bought cow manure and peat moss. I just read about the peatmoss tip now, or I wouldn't have bought it. Yep, it's up in price by about $2 a bundle.
by dodge on May 20, 2006 08:53 AM
Daisy

Up in price at all stores cause of gas prices.
I get my manure free......I am a herdswoman.. Ha ha that means i live on a small farm.

dodge

-
 -
by DaisyM on May 20, 2006 09:21 AM
Hey dodge, we don't have close access to the real stuff, so we have to buy the bagged manure at Garden Centers. Since, I had the experience of smelling the real "Gold dung", I can tell you the bought one doesn't smell anything like it, and probably doesn't work as well. I guess there's a benefit to being a herdswoman. Hey You should bag the stuff and sell it as organic manure. I'll be the first to buy it.
by dodge on May 20, 2006 10:10 AM
Daisy

Ha ha ...........Those are some of the rewards of hard work, an no pay. ha ha
I am sure it is processed differently and you get less then the best.
My man uses every bit of it on the fields here and it brings down the need for fertilzer we have to purchase. Gotcha.

Like they say , to each his own. I love my non profit job.

dodge [muggs]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: