The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

White flies on gardenia?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: White Flies/Black Leaf| Next thread: White fly »
Back to Thread index
by Kingfisher on May 12, 2005 04:45 AM
What is the best way to treat white flies on my Gardenia? I have tried insect soap but to no avail. Thanks for all the help
by 4Ruddy on May 12, 2005 06:46 AM
First...welcome to the forum...glad you found us.
Second...good luck in your battle of the white flies! We have been attempting to battle them for 2 years now...they are winning! [Eek!]
You can scan through some of the threads here and see the discussion on whiteflies...the bug lady has given us a lot of info. The owner of the nursery that I use here told me to treat with malathion. If you don't use chemicals then that wouldn't be an option. I don't like using them, but the infestation here is so bad I really don't have much of a choice. The thing you need to remember is that once you treat for whiteflies, you have to treat again in about 3 weeks or so. Hope this helps some...and as I said, you might want to do some looking at some of the other threads here to see previous discussions.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Longy on May 12, 2005 02:44 PM
This is some info on their lifecycle and organic methods of control. In particular take note of the small blue footnote midway thru the second page and the recipes for home made organic sprays at the end of page 2. I reckon chemical control of this type of pest is a very temporary measure as it will kill off beneficial insects and also allow the bugs to develop an immunity to the chemicals.
http://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcontrol2/whitefly_intro.html

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: White Flies/Black Leaf| Next thread: White fly »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: