The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

clean egg shells

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: clean air houseplants| Next thread: cleaning african violets? »
Back to Thread index
by ladybug67 on May 15, 2006 08:05 AM
EGG SHELLS I'm trying to remember what i was saving them for?? Maybe the tomatoes plants? crush them and sprinkle them on the soil?? Please someone Help!!! Is their anything else they are good for other then putting in my compost. Thanks

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by Danno on May 15, 2006 08:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ladybug67:
Is their anything else they are good for other then putting in my compost. Thanks
didnt know you can put egg shells into compost. . . crush them good i'm imagining?
by Tamara from Minnesota on May 15, 2006 12:28 PM
Egg shells are calcium which are good for tomatoes to help prevent blossom end rot.

-
by johnCT on May 15, 2006 02:11 PM
Put them in the compost pile.

John - Zone 6
by ladybug67 on May 15, 2006 04:58 PM
Thank you All, Tamara Thats what i was saving them for lol.

by patches1414 on May 15, 2006 09:00 PM
Hi ladybug! [wavey]

quote:
Is their anything else they are good for other then putting in my compost.
I save crushed eggs shells and put them in the beds where my Hostas are. [Wink] It helps to keep the slugs from ruining my Hostas! [thumb]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by pagarden on May 16, 2006 02:19 AM
i save mine too and crush them and put them around my peppers and tomaotes (actually dig them in a bit, not just laying on the ground....) for blossom end rot. if i have any extra (i've been saving all winter!) i'll throw them in my compost.
by weezie13 on May 16, 2006 02:04 PM
I like to save them, and put them in a ziplock gallon sized baggie, and then whack~'em and smoosh 'em, get my frustrations' out, and just crush them..
*they do break thru a bit thru the plastic baggie,
but not too much, and make sure I whack them in different spots so it doesn't wear a big hole in one spot..*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by patches1414 on May 16, 2006 02:20 PM
quote:
I like to save them, and put them in a ziplock gallon sized baggie, and then whack~'em, get my frustrations' out
Wow Weezie, what a great stress reliever! [thumb] I've been putting mine in the Ziplock "Double Guard" bags because they have two layers and then using my rolling pin to crush them. It never occured to me to take out all my frustrations by whacking them! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I could use my meat tenderizer mallet. [thinker]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by obywan59 on May 16, 2006 02:36 PM
I chop my eggshells to a powder in my Vita-mix and use 1/4 c. in the hole I plant my tomatoes in. I also use a little eggshell powder with some brewers yeast, lecithin, garlic powder and vitamin C powder and give my cats a teaspoon of the mix every day. It helps deter fleas and gives them really healthy looking coats.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by weezie13 on May 16, 2006 03:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by patches1414:
quote:
I like to save them, and put them in a ziplock gallon sized baggie, and then whack~'em, get my frustrations' out
Wow Weezie, what a great stress reliever! [thumb]

Ohhhhhh yeah, I'm a nice person...
and I can be so nice cause I'm wackin' my eggshells in the background!!! [Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [grin]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by PAR_Gardener on May 16, 2006 06:54 PM
Obwan,

quote:
I chop my eggshells to a powder in my Vita-mix
I thought I was the only one to use a Vita-mix to crush my "dry" composting materials. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone. As an alternative, I also run egg shells through my chipper/shredder before adding them into my compost pile. I never thought to use them straight as a soil amendment.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by patches1414 on May 16, 2006 07:09 PM
quote:
I'm a nice person...
and I can be so nice cause I'm wackin' my eggshells in the background!!!
Weezie, I believe this is true even when you're NOT wackin' your eggshells! [Big Grin] When I first joined you made me feel so comfortable about asking questions, I felt right at home and that was such a good feeling! [Wink] You've also helped me many times since then. [thumb] Thanks for being such a nice person! [kissies]

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 17, 2006 12:48 AM
Patti,
[Embarrassed] [Smile] I just [Love] lovvvvvvvvvvvvve [Cool] to garden, and flowers [flower]
and [gabby] people [muggs] and it's all natural to want those others
to want and enjoy all the same things [thumb] ...

I can not stop talking about gardening...

And mostly, I was new too looking for info and when no one
acknowledged you, it was disheartening..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on May 18, 2006 07:29 AM
quote:
I just lovvvvvvvvvvvvve to garden, and flowers and people and it's all natural to want those others to want and enjoy all the same things ...
Wow Weezie, it's so nice to know someone from the same planet! [kissies] [Big Grin]

quote:
I can not stop talking about gardening...

Me either, Weezie! [Wink] My friends listen when I talk about my flowers; but, they just don't share my enthusium or excitment [Frown] when I announce I just got a Persian Shield or the new "Fatal Attraction" coneflower. They don't understand my love of compost, [Roll Eyes] and if I even mention my worm bin the looks on their faces says it all! She's [nutz] !!! That's why this place has been such a blessing to me! [Love]

Weezie, the reason I said I use crushed egg shells for my Hostas to control slugs was because I was told years ago that it keeps them out because the sharpness of the egg shells cuts their bodies, is that correct? [dunno]

-
 -
by owlette on May 18, 2006 01:36 PM
I think that is right about the egg shells cutting up their bodies, patches. Wonder if the same applies to snails??

Owlette
by patches1414 on May 18, 2006 07:15 PM
I don't remember whare I heard that [dunno] but it made sense to me so I stored in my little brain in case I ever needed it! I don't know if it applies to snails because they have a shell which might protect them. [Wink]

-
 -
by ladybug67 on May 20, 2006 03:06 AM
Hello All, I'm so glad I posted this You all are full of all kinds of info its great!!! I been telling my down stairs neighbor to keep her shells for her garden since she will be having alot of tomatoe plants and she make sauce and canning it too. What else can she do. Do you need to cage them when you plant them same as with peppers ? How do i know if i need to use a lime in the garden and really how much not good with ft and per in stuff and i have a 5 pound bag of bone meal and can't remember where to use it!!!! Thanks all!! Dee

by tkhooper on May 20, 2006 03:16 AM
You can cage tomatoes or you can trench them or you can even hang them upside down. Tomatoes are pretty hardy little plants as long as you keep the moisture just right lol. That's were I have trouble.

A soil test will tell you what you need to amend your garden. The university cooperative extention will usually do them for you for a minimal cost. And they will help you decipher the information once you get it too.

You need to know what kind of soil each one of your plants like. My peonies for example like 6.5 pH for their soil. While the Chinese Lanterns like a slightly alkaline soil and just will not grow without it. And the Roses like a bit of acid in their soil. So it depends on which plant what you need to do to amend the soil.

-
 -
by ranger on May 20, 2006 03:55 AM
Egg shells and coffee grounds mixed together the worms love it.
ranger
by patches1414 on May 20, 2006 05:43 AM
Thanks ranger! [thumb] I just started my worm bin a few months ago. I have plenty of coffee grounds to add to the bin along with my other garbage, but now I'll start adding some of my crushed egg shells too! [Wink] Got to keep those babies happy! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Mitzi on May 23, 2006 10:07 AM
Thanks for the egg shell info. I am new to gardening and will use the shells for my tomato plants. Someone mentioned pepper plants, would the shells be good for any type of pepper plants? i.e. bell v. chili or both

[No one can make you feel inferior without your consent]
by Danno on May 23, 2006 02:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by patches1414:
I just started my worm bin a few months ago. Got to keep those babies happy! [Big Grin]
lawl. i thaught worms were just good for fishing! What on earth do they do for gardens?
by ranger on May 24, 2006 03:29 AM
Oh Boy!!!! The casting that worms leave are IT!!
Worms are a continuous composting machine. The more organic matter you feed your soil the healthier everything in the soil will be. They produce a very balanced PH material, aerate the soil and break down everthing in sight (they have no eyes) as they move trough the earth. As small as they are they actually move large stones as they aerate and create chambers for root production. Look around or just "GOOGLE" "worm castings".
ranger

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: clean air houseplants| Next thread: cleaning african violets? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: