The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help! I've got to spray for bugs, but want to keep plants safe

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by new-gardener on April 26, 2005 10:38 AM
I have an atrium, in which I have planted a Japanese Maple and few other things in the ground. I have noticed that there were some cock roaches out there, which I simply CANNOT stand.
I have to spray, or something, but I want to keep my plants safe. What can I do?
I hope someone lets me know something soon, because I HATE bugs! [scaredy]

I am a new gardener, any suggestions appreciated!
by tkhooper on April 26, 2005 01:19 PM
You don't have any eatable plants in there do you?

I had to use a fogger in my apartment and lost my basil. Everything else did ok.

I believe you said you have cats?

I don't know how you are going to manage to get rid of the cockroaches if the cats nibble on your plants.

You can't even put down boric acid.

OK has anyone tried one of those sonic pest control thingys in the back of the gardening catalogs? Don't know how they work since most bugs don't have ears.

-
 -
by Longy on April 26, 2005 07:25 PM
Line a glass jar or similar with some butter and put some bait in there. The cockies go in and can't climb out. A bit of banana works well, so does peanut butter. If they don't work experiment with a few other baits. You can then just put the lid on and drop the lot in the bin or stir fry and you have peanut butter and banana snacks. Great treat for the kids;)
by SN on April 28, 2005 03:11 AM
All I can say is EWWW! Longy! I am sure sorry I read this thread, I don't like having that image in my mind...

But New-Gardener, listen to Longy, because he knows a lot about natural methods...

You will all be better off (you, your animals, plants, etc) by trying not to use pesticides.

We don't have any of those types of bugs in the north, but I remember them from living in the south... I like to leave non-poisonous spiders alone, for I know they will take care of other bugs for me. As do lizards, frogs and toads, which we had a lot of in our yard down south.

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: