The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

beefsteak tomatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Beef Pot Roast| Next thread: Been there before? »
Back to Thread index
by firsttimer on May 10, 2006 08:50 AM
Does anyone have tips for growing beefsteak tomatoes? I'm going to try planting them upside down in a bucket, but I don't know if they'll grow in SD.

**Every woman needs a man with a will of his own--made out in her name!** Zone 4b

-
by peppereater on May 10, 2006 04:49 PM
You should be able to get at least some production form any tomato, unless you're at a really high altitude, but Beefsteak is probably not the best variety for the "upside down" method. Anything is okay for an experiment, but that method is best for cherry tomatoes or Romas. Can you find a spot for at least one Beefsteak in the ground, and amend with compost, bonemeal, other slow release fertilizers and soil conditioners? Those Beefsteaks are some of the best, and I hope you can manage to harvest at least a few! You'll be glad no matter how much effort you put into it! [thumb]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by firsttimer on May 11, 2006 08:23 AM
Thanks for the tip, Dave! I'll try the old-fashioned way!

**Every woman needs a man with a will of his own--made out in her name!** Zone 4b

-
by angelblossom on May 13, 2006 08:37 AM
I agree with Dave! Beef steak would be too Heavy a fruit and would probably break the branches I have roma tomaoes growing up side down but I have to soon find a place to hang higher,, or else I may have tomatos on the ground! this is my first year for it so live and learn [Wink]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Beef Pot Roast| Next thread: Been there before? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: