The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

The cute pests....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Winter Rosebudd on March 07, 2005 02:22 AM
OK...I don't really want to call them pests...but they are costing me!

I love our dove population around here...but can we please lay our eggs anywhere else but my hanging baskets that I work so hard on???

Last year, I killed (or they did) two fuschias on the front porch and 2 baskets with various flowers in the back, because these feathered ladies decided to make them thier labor and delivery rooms... [Big Grin]

OK....true...if I had to choose...I'd definately like to have my kids hatch amidst an expensive arrangement of colorful flowers...but ya know!!! [Roll Eyes]

Then there's the squirrels...how can I tell the fat ones to please share with the skinny ones?

Then there's my husband....Honey can you please save some beer for the slugs? [Big Grin]

-
by Winter Rosebudd on March 07, 2005 02:23 AM
Does anyone else have any cute pests???

-
by plantlady19 on March 07, 2005 07:23 PM
My roomate has been known to kill plants. Does that count? [Big Grin] Oh! And my boyfriend, too. God he's adorable but green his thumbs are not. [Embarrassed]

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by afgreyparrot on March 07, 2005 08:07 PM
quote:
if I had to choose...I'd definately like to have my kids hatch amidst an expensive arrangement of colorful flowers...
Oh, me, too! And, since my "kids" includes doves, I'd buy fuschias for them to nest in if that's what they wanted! They don't call me the "Crazy Bird Lady" for nothin'! [Big Grin]

quote:
Then there's the squirrels...
I had a squirrel this past summer, finally! I tried every way in the world to get it to stay here, even went to the farm and picked up acorns to scatter in the bird garden here. But, the cat kept chasing it, and it moved on. [tears]

You might call a skunk a pest...
I have some of those...
 -  -

And a crow named Whiskey Man who screams every morning until I take his breakfast to him...
 -

Let's see...there's the wild turkeys that have been chasing my stray dogs off!
 -

And, there's this cute little pest I catch crawling around in my houseplants every now and then...
 -

Hmmm... [nutz] I think that's about it!

quote:
can you please save some beer for the slugs?
Oh, yeah...the slugs! You don't even want me to get started on that again!
slugs and beer
I've given up on trying to get rid of the slugs, and decided to make drinking buddies out of them!
We've had some good times late at night out in the bird garden...especially the night the skunks drank the beer I had set out for the slugs. So, we had drunk slugs, drunk skunks, and drunk afgreyparrot!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by catlover on March 07, 2005 08:17 PM
[Big Grin] [thumb]

I didn't know wild turkeys go after dogs! [shocked] ....they are that mean? Glad we don't have those here!!!

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on March 07, 2005 09:37 PM
They don't actually "chase" the dogs... [Big Grin]
There are just so MANY of them.
You can't even count them unless you take a picture of them, then count them in the photo. Day before yesterday I got a pic of 86 turkeys!
It's a turkey "gang", I think.
And they are GIGANTIC!
They just command respect by the dogs due to the size and quantity of them! [thumb]

They didn't even hide during Thanksgiving week!
They ain't afraid of nothin'!

-
 -
 -
by mike57 on March 07, 2005 11:16 PM
you got a freezer? [Big Grin] you could stock up.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Winter Rosebudd on March 08, 2005 02:36 AM
Teehee...Cindy, I was just tryin to get some skunk pics outta you! LOL! So what are you feeding them?

Please be careful around those wild turkeys! [grin]

-
by afgreyparrot on March 08, 2005 03:32 AM
Oh, I have plenty of skunk pictures!
I have plenty of skunks! [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]
These are just my first two...
The next night, they brought some friends, and so on and so forth.
Lets see...there's Waylon, Willie, Jasmine, Rose, Sunflower, Lilac, Ace (he wants a tatoo, but I said no), Hank.....and I know I'm leaving someone out here. [nutz]
They like dry cat food. Actually, they like anything I feed them.
They love Coors Light.

And about the wild turkeys...
quote:
you got a freezer? you could stock up
The only wild turkey I'm killin' is in the bottle under the kitchen sink! [lala]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by Sheri&Kiki on March 08, 2005 09:54 PM
The cute pests I have here are squirrels, birds, and racoons, all of which I enjoy. I have a bird bath and new feeder, squirrel feeders, and the racoons are just plain nosy! [Big Grin] They're a lot of fun to watch, though. I don't chase any of them away, in fact, if my doves decide to use my flowers as a labor & delivery, then so be it! [Wink]

-
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
by catlover on March 08, 2005 10:26 PM
Are 5 cats that knock over plants and a 5 gallon fish aquarium, open wood blinds in the middle of the night, and shred rolls of toilet paper considered cute pests? [lala] Oh and don't forget 3 just recent adults (yeah, right) and one grandchild as guest cute pests!!!
Love all my cute pests and wouldn't trade them for the world [Love] ....well sometimes the thought has crossed my mind...I could not lie!!! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on March 09, 2005 04:36 AM
Well, the cats and the grandchild are definately cute pests!
But...there's a fine line [lala] that separates adults from being cute pests or just plain ole pests!
I hope yours were the cute ones! [Big Grin]

(My brother can go from "cute pest" to "PEST" in a matter of minutes!)
[Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on March 13, 2005 05:39 AM
boy cindy, your brother is slow... mine can go that way in seconds [Big Grin] [Big Grin] my cute pests are the three dogs and 2 cats... gotta love 'em, but geeze... what a mess [Frown]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: