The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Zealand Spinach

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: New yard| Next thread: Newbe w/Gardenia problem »
Back to Thread index
by mater sandwich on May 02, 2006 02:49 PM
I picked up some New Zealand Spinach seeds this year. They look Prehistoric! Spikes and all.

I have only found small amounts of information about growing them.
1) Low germination rate (% unknown)
2) Soak seeds for faster germination
3) Plant at 12 inch intervals and half in deep
4) Harvest small portions for extended production

So I soaked the seeds overnight and placed 4 or 5 seeds in each hole to ensure a plant at each desired location. That should take care of a 20 to 25% germination if it is that bad.

Finally the Questions.....

Has anyone here planted New Zealand Spinach?

Can you provide plant information, success stories, or growing tips?

Just looking to take the "trial and error" out of it.

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by SpringFever on May 04, 2006 08:04 AM
I have read a bunch and you have about all the info I can find as well Mator?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by mater sandwich on May 05, 2006 08:04 AM
Thanks. I was hoping this was a bit more popular of a plant.

Looks like it's a trial and error thing, like before the Internet. [thinker] (hopefully few errors) [Big Grin]

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by mater sandwich on May 16, 2006 06:46 AM
I'm not quite ready to give up. Just bumping it back to the top of the list for another run through.
The seeds have been planted for 16 days and still no sprouts. (maybe tomorrow)

by papito on May 16, 2006 08:22 AM
New Zealand spinach [Tetragonia tetragonioides].

I have been growing the New Zealand spinach in pots for more than 5 years now, but I just don't remember how I planted the seeds. What I can tell you is that they grow very fast, especially when watered regularly and will spread like weeds if not managed properly.

From Sunset Wester Book: "Sow seed in early spring after danger of frost is past; thin established seedlings to 1-1.5 ft. apart. Mature plants are spreading. Harvest greens by plucking off top few inches of tender stems and attached leaves. A month later new shoots will have grown up for another harvest. New Zealand spinach tolerates heat and drought but also thrives in cool, damp conditions."

Links:
http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/images/thumbnails/html/tetragonia_tetragonioides.htm

http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/t-tet.html

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by mater sandwich on May 16, 2006 09:13 AM
Thanks Papito, This is very helpful.
That's the kind of information that I'm looking for. [thumb]

by lakegran on May 18, 2006 02:57 AM
The New Zealand spinach sounds interesting. I take it that it doesn't bolt in hot weather?,, How is the flavor and texture compared to 'longstanding' . Is it nice for both cooking and salads. I looove spinach, and have had two little bunches already, very early for any Michigan crop. I have also picked a few cute little marble sized radishes, as part of the thinning process. This is my second year for a garden and I am loving it.

-
by nmlAlba-dC15 on May 18, 2006 07:29 PM
Papito...
i wonder if u could spare me some seeds...i don't have much in my garden...m offering da same things to everyone...
Hyacinth bean (white n purple)
Butterfly pea flower
Wishbone flower
Devil's Trumpet
4 O' Clocks
Passionflower/fruit... [wavey]

-
i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
by papito on May 19, 2006 05:15 AM
Hi lakegran

quote:
The New Zealand spinach [NZ spiinach] sounds interesting. I take it that it doesn't bolt in hot weather?,, How is the flavor and texture compared to 'longstanding'
1. The New Zealand spinach doesn't bolt in hot weather.

2. We blanch the NZ spinach before eating to remove the oxalate [bitter taste] whereas the Bloomsdale Long Standing [BLS} spinach can be eaten raw, not bitter and sweet.

3. While BLS spinach is tender, the NZ spinach is somewhat thick and coarse.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
by papito on May 19, 2006 05:45 AM
And, to: nmlAlba-dC15,

quote:
i wonder if u could spare me some seeds...i don't have much in my garden
I don't have extra seeds right now, but, sure I will send you some when available. Please PM me your mailing address.

Any restriction in mailing non-commercial quantity of seeds to Malaysia?

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New yard| Next thread: Newbe w/Gardenia problem »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: