The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Watering Part Deux - Over/Underwatering

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Watering Orchids| Next thread: Watering plants »
Back to Thread index
by n00bGardener on May 01, 2006 11:46 AM
What is worse for your veggies, over-watering or under-watering.. I think I have been underwatering.. How bad is it for your veggies (planted about 6 weeks ago) [Roll Eyes]
by 'Sparagus on May 01, 2006 12:27 PM
Are they in the ground or still indoors? Im guessing indoors cause you are way up North....

IMO OVERWATERING is WORSE! I heard it on a gardening show on the radio: Way easier to water a thirsty plant than to save one that's been drowned.

It prevents damping off and mold/mildew. Ive kept all my indoor babies really on the dry side and they are doing amazing. Hope that helps!! [wavey]

Karen [flower]
by ChristinaC on May 01, 2006 12:42 PM
nOOb isn't way up north..she's in zone 7b...very warm there.
If we don't get any rain, I usually water every other day....but I don't soak my garden...just water 'til moist.

-
 -
by n00bGardener on May 01, 2006 01:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 'Sparagus:
Are they in the ground or still indoors? Im guessing indoors cause you are way up North....

IMO OVERWATERING is WORSE! I heard it on a gardening show on the radio: Way easier to water a thirsty plant than to save one that's been drowned.

It prevents damping off and mold/mildew. Ive kept all my indoor babies really on the dry side and they are doing amazing. Hope that helps!! [wavey]

Karen [flower]

They are outdoors, I had absolutely nowhere to keep them inside (I have 2 small kids) I was going to start them indoor and keep them on top of my fridge but when I moved I realised that I have cupboards above my fridge so that was a no go(im sad about that..lol)

The reason I was wondering was b/c we had a few days of sunshine and the soil looked like it was moist (it still got chilly or sprinkled overnight) The last day of our hot spell the soil looked dry so I watered it and the next evening (barely any sun through out the day) when I went out to look in my garden the veggies had noticeably grown (as compared to the hot sunny days with no water where I noticed almost nothing..)
by n00bGardener on May 01, 2006 01:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
nOOb isn't way up north..she's in zone 7b...very warm there.
If we don't get any rain, I usually water every other day....but I don't soak my garden...just water 'til moist.

I have been doing the same aswell..The last time I watered was Friday and I watered again today since we had a small showering yesturday, I figured that was enough to tide it over until today.
by markr on May 01, 2006 01:18 PM
I water mine at least every other day!
i even water if rain is forecast, it doesnt harm them, just helps the rain to get in.
my soil is fairley light and sandy though!

-
Mark

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Watering Orchids| Next thread: Watering plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: