The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Won't get a crack at my Zone 5b garden until 10/31...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Wollemi Pine| Next thread: wonder egg »
Back to Thread index
by Shieldmaiden96 on October 01, 2005 10:07 PM
We are moving at the end of the month permanently to our new house that my husband has been 'camping' in for the summer. I have only been up there for weekends so I've not had the opportunity to do much more than weed and cut grass. Are their any chores or preparation tasks I should do the first week of November to prepare the garden for next year's growing season? There are some sad little beds around the house already that need to be dug up and amended, and I'm digging a new flowerbed along the garage come spring, but is there anything more I should do before it gets cold?

I can't wait to bring color to that yard! [flower]
by cinta on October 02, 2005 02:23 AM
I would gather as many leaves as I could get my hands on and in the new bed do a lasagna bed. Which would help you not have to dig next Spring.

Lasagna Bed is just what its name suggest. Do a layer of 2-3 sheets of newspaper then the leaves and some compost keep laying as much as you can now. Then come spring put 6" of compost and plant.

As for the rest of the beds. Do you know what is growing now? When I moved into my house I dug up some things I really should have kept. I usually suggest living on the property and put down some mulch and plant some annual seeds until you know what is planted that you will not have to buy again that may be there now. Some things like bulbs you cannot see until spring or Oriental Lilies late in the summer.

Mulch makes the beds look nice and tidy and the annuals will will give you color while you plan and watch the sun and wind so you invest in your money on permanent plants that will survive where they are planted.

I wish I had planned my gardens better instead of rushing. It would have saved me many dollars and time. I had shade lovers in the sun and sun lovers in the shade I could not figure out why things were dead. Follow your sun and the times it hits certain areas.

I thought areas were full sun because the sun was in an area in the morning but did not realize that 2 hrs later a nearby tree shaded the area the rest of the day.

I hope this helps. Have fun in your new garden. Planning is the best fun I have had.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Shieldmaiden96 on October 02, 2005 09:12 AM
There are some very tired chives behind the house and I'd like to replace/enrich that bed, and add all the cooking herbs I like to use. On one side of the house there are a couple of sad, spindly rose bushes that put out a couple of feeble blooms this past season and that was about it. There is a very skinny strip between them that looks like something was there at one time but nothing came up this summer. The shady side of the house has just grass growing up to the house itself and I'd like to put in some hostas there. As far as I can tell there's nothing in the beds under the bushes out front; the mulch is faded and flattened. Everything looks very tired!

I will take your advice and gather leaves, clean up the yard, and start keeping track of how the sun hits the areas of the yard where I'm hoping to plant. I think the Lasagna bed is perfect for the herb garden to be, but I'll wait to dig up the hosta area as well as the side of my garage where I plan to put sunflowers and purple coneflowers. I guess on the plus side, having the whole fall/winter to wait means I have several months to plan, study, and learn before I invest time and money and plant!
by tkhooper on October 02, 2005 12:33 PM
I don't know about your area but down here in VA the silly stores didn't stock potting soil or seeds past september so I got a really late start on my indoor sowing for plants that need a longer growing season. So I would say that I'd be getting whatever you want to use to start your indoor sowing with now so that come febuary you are ready to go without problems. And most herbs can be started anytime and many of them do well inside so you could have well established plants long before spring. My cinnamon basil is doing great as a house plant and so are my garlic chives. As fall and winter progress and I begin having planting withdrawals I'll probably plant the sage, dill, coriander and thyme. Did I mention the parsley? I love having a herb garden. I'm also overwintering some portulaca inside. I don't know if you have any plants outside that you may want to bring in for the winter but if you do I'd hurry.

Congratulations on your new house and garden. I hope it is everything you ever dreamed of and better.
by MaryReboakly on October 03, 2005 01:30 AM
I definitely agree with the lasagna bed idea. Anywhere you're going to plant anything, start lasagna-ing. No digging involved then - and free! I spent too much money when I started gardening (ie., before I had a clue what I should be doing) so you're definitely on the right track, planning ahead of buying stuff! Cinta, you sound like my twin. I could have said the same thing as just about everything you posted!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Wollemi Pine| Next thread: wonder egg »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: