The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Carrot Problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: carrot fly| Next thread: Carrot's »
Back to Thread index
by Tipster_Chad on April 19, 2006 10:56 AM
Ok... We have never had much luck with carrots before, and I am really gonna try to get it to work this time. So, all I need to know is...EVERYTHING!!! How deep to till, fertilizer?, spacing, etc. Oh, the soil is a bit like clay... I've heard that's bad? I'll really appreciate your help!

-Sarah [Love]

-Sarah ZONE 5

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully"
2nd Corinthians 9:6
by johnCT on April 19, 2006 07:42 PM
Yes, hard, clay soil is not good at all for carrots. They like very loose, deep soil to grow well formed roots. You should start by amending the soil heavily with compost or some other organic material and maybe a bit of sand. Carrots should be direct seeded only and covered with a starting mix that won't crust up before the seed germinates. Thin plants to about four to six inches. If you have room, think about making a small raised bed in your garden solely for root crops with very loose, fertile soil. Good luck.

John - Zone 6
by Tipster_Chad on April 19, 2006 08:56 PM
Thanks John! I appreciate your help. But I have another question. When I tilled up the ground yesterday, I only went about half as deep as I could have because that seemed to work for the other veggies. Do I need to go back over my "carrot spot" with the blade as far down as it goes?

Thanks again! -Sarah

PS. How do I figure out my zone to post after my name?

-Sarah ZONE 5

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully"
by johnCT on April 19, 2006 09:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tipster_Chad:
Do I need to go back over my "carrot spot" with the blade as far down as it goes?
Yes, I would. Depending on the variety you were planning on planting, ideally you want a minimum of 8" of loose soil. Try varieties like Nantes or Danvers half-long that only get to 5-6 inches until you can get a nice deep root patch.

quote:
Originally posted by Tipster_Chad:

PS. How do I figure out my zone to post after my name?

Its called a signature. Click Profile/Messages link above, edit profile, and add what you'd like to your "Signature"

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on April 19, 2006 10:18 PM
Yep Compost!!
And light soil....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Tipster_Chad on April 20, 2006 11:15 AM
ok. Thanks again, guys. But I still don't know how to figure out WHICH zone I'm in...?

-Sarah ZONE 5

by obywan59 on April 20, 2006 11:32 AM
Chad, here is the USDA hardiness zone map for your area

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Wrennie on April 20, 2006 08:36 PM
[devil] AAAAAHHHH!! NO NO NO!! [shocked]
Never use sand to loosen clay soil!! It has the opposite effect. It will be like concrete!
Add compost, perlite vermiculite peat moss, jut NO sand. [devil]

I live in CLAY! When I grew carrots I made a raised bed with 2x8's. I used mushroom soil, (composted cow manure the mushroom farms used)& vermiculite. No more fertilizers and short varieties like John said. Had lots of yummy carrots. [clappy]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Wrennie on April 20, 2006 08:38 PM
ps
my friend in Beaverton, MI is in zone 5.
If thats close to you or not, i dunno'.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Deborah L. on April 21, 2006 04:28 AM
Wrennie, a fellow weed lover???? Me too ! You will never see me pulling out dandelions, sourgrass, or mustard !!!
And I WISH my violets (viola odorata) would take over every empty space there is !

-
 -
by 'Sparagus on April 21, 2006 09:40 PM
quote:
Never use sand to loosen clay soil!! It has the opposite effect. It will be like concrete!
Wooo! Im glad I read this! I have a bag of sand sitting out there that I was getting ready to spread.

You do hear that all the time though. [Frown]

Hey, can I ask a carrot question too? I got some organic humus and manure, 40# bags, any idea how much to use on a 3'x5' area? I dont want to use too much or too little [dunno]

Karen [flower]
by johnCT on April 21, 2006 10:18 PM
That's not exactly true. Sand will not turn clay soil harder. There must have been something else at work to cause that. Pure physics will dictate that mixing sand and silt will create loam. Of course, compost will create GOLD. [thumb]

Karen, use it all!

John - Zone 6
by Tipster_Chad on April 23, 2006 11:11 AM
I just talked with my dad. See, I thought I had heard him saying that our soil was a bit "clayish", but I asked him again anyway. Good thing. He says it's more of a "sandy loam" whatever that is. Anybody?

-Sarah ZONE 5

by weezie13 on April 23, 2006 11:19 AM
Sandy loam is great for carrots,
usually those have a depth to them,
and easily drain and things like carrots can
dig down deep...

Only you do have to watch for watering if it's loamy...as if it's fast draining, *and not much compost added to retain a wee~bit of moisture*
any root crops can be hot *like raddish's* and woody *tough*...
Just keep slightly moist...
and they'll be fine...

And I love weeds too...
*did you know that dandelions are actually very good for the soil, as their roots dig very far down and break up soil...
and you can eat the young leaves...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by DaisyM on April 24, 2006 11:40 AM
I didn't always have luck with my carrots because when they started coming out, they looked so good that I found it a shame to thin them, thinking I would have more carrots. WRONG! The result in the end was carrots which were mostly tops, but no carrots underneath. Now, I do get the nerve to thin them, and find I get big carrots with a bigger harvest.
by Deborah L. on April 24, 2006 11:46 AM
Sarah, I loved your Scripture ! I really enjoy Bible verses. How lovely to include this one here.

-
 -
by Tipster_Chad on April 25, 2006 06:59 AM
[flower] Thanks guys, for all the help!!! I believe that I am ready to give my best shot at growing big juicy carrots!!! Thanks! [flower]

-Sarah ZONE 5

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: carrot fly| Next thread: Carrot's »
Back to Thread index