The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cheering Up the Grass

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: cheerful prickly pear| Next thread: cheese cake »
Back to Thread index
by Carly on May 21, 2005 03:59 PM
I would prefer to do without grass, but I can't cover a whole lot with ground cover. So I'd better look after what's there or it won't look good.

-

This is at the south-west corner of the lot. I call it SOUTH LOT - SECTION 1.

I have been weeding there - pulling out uglies and harvesting what I like. I'm especially hung up on those wee blue flowered things that are rampant in scruffy grass right now.

-

They look like tiny forget-me-nots. I have already put some in pots to see how far I can get with them.

Anyway, I've pulled my weeds/harvested wild plants here and I'm going to get on with it.

My plan is to cut this shady section - that won't take much 'cause I snipped as I weeded and dragged my hand rake through it.

Then I plan to rake it out, then spread some manure onto it. Then some ordinary dark garden soil which I understand is best for acidic soils.

I'll do that in small parts at a time, using a hand seeder I just bought.

I didn't by the stand up pull and push kind yet, 'cause I know I'm inclined to just work on small patches at a time and I like to sit down to do it.

Is it ok to mix the top soil with the manure and apply it at once?

I'd like to do that, water it in, then start the seeding process.

Is it ok to do the seeding right away?

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Longy on May 21, 2005 11:12 PM
I would prefer to do without grass,
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Me too Carly. No grass is good grass. (Well, lawn type grasses anyway). That area would look great buried under 6 inches of mulch with perenials all through it. I know that's not an answer, just my pennies worth. Sowing a seed of doubt in your mind is all [Wink]
by Redcedar on May 23, 2005 12:17 AM
Curious why you can't cover a whole lot with an alternate "ground cover". Why not? After all, isn't that what grass is - just the accepted "norm" in ground covers? Why not be a little different from your neighbours. (Or is a there as silly city by-law saying you have to have grass on your front porch?) Check out the book, "How to get your Lawn off Grass" by Carole Rubin. Some great ideas for folks that are a) bored by plain old grass b) tired of cutting the lawn on weekends c) want to be a bit unique d) don't want to waste hundreds of gallons - sorry litres we're in Canada - of water trying to get grass to grow in mid-summer e) don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on chemicals to try and get the grass growing f) want to exercise their creativity. . .
by Carly on June 08, 2005 03:03 PM
If we are going to be here through the winter, I might just put down some mulch, then some soil and throw some wildflower seeds in there.

Then again, I might visit the beach often and bring back lots of big flat rocks - nothin' like 'em.

When I rake a lot it greens up, but I have other things to do besides rake.

However, it is greening up a bit down on that portion of the lot - I'll leave well enough alone for now.

-
by Carly on June 08, 2005 03:05 PM
Oh, yeah - even some Canadians have a hard time remembering to say litres instead of gallons.

I was born in the early forties and the Trudeau government brought in the metric - fer petey sake! We were all raised on feet and inches.

-
by Carly on June 19, 2005 09:56 PM
Well, I did not throw any grass seed - gave up on that idea - not even buying another bag of it. If it's bald, it's bald. A lot of places in the woods are bald and that's what this lot is more or less - a small woodland.

I like to keep it natural, so I guess that's the way to go.

The most I've done down at that end of the lot is dig around transplanting clover in my secret garden. Oh, you know where that is? Awwwwwwww . . . now I'll have to kill you - ha ha!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: cheerful prickly pear| Next thread: cheese cake »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: