The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Herbs in a window box

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Herbs - An Overview| Next thread: herbs in containers »
Back to Thread index
by mater sandwich on January 25, 2006 03:37 AM
(I am transplanting this from the container forum to here for double the input.)

I have came across some window boxes that are approximately 36"L X 8"W X 8"D. (915mmL X 200mmW X 200mmD) Would the soil depth of 8 inches be sufficient for growing these herbs?
Basil
Chives
Cilantro
Lavender
Oregano
Parsley
Sage
Tarragon
Thyme
Spearmint (might have to use a barrier in pot if grown with other herbs)

If 8" is not deep enough, What depth is recommended?

Thanks for the information.

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by ChristinaC on January 25, 2006 07:58 AM
Oh I would think 8 inches would be fine. I started all my herbs indoors last year and when I brought them outside in summer, I just left them in their containers. They did wonderfully. Just be sure to space them out well to give their roots room to grow....planting too close together isn't good. Good Luck!! Keep us posted how they're doing.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 25, 2006 01:20 PM
I would say that they should work fine also..just be sure not to crowd them up in the window boxs.

-
 -
by mater sandwich on January 26, 2006 04:49 AM
ChristinaC and Comfrey thanks for the replies.

Of the list, Lavender and Sage concerned me the most since they can get 24" (610mm) or larger and not knowing their root structure. I'll post progress pictures later in the season.

Some days there is more laughter than others....Just depends on what/who you focus on....
by ChristinaC on January 26, 2006 06:10 AM
Mator.....they'll only grow as deep as they can so if I were you, I really wouldn't worry about it...just remember to space them out well. Good Luck!!

Christina

-
 -
by comfrey on January 26, 2006 09:20 AM
If it was me I would put the sage in its own pot instead...I have one growing in a 2 gallon pot. It does put a large root system, but like Christina said it will only spread according to the amount of space it has to grow in.

-
 -
by tkhooper on January 27, 2006 12:34 AM
Ok, what's the secret for growing sage? Huh huh huh. It never sprouts for me. Does it need light to germinate? Or less water than most seeds when sprouting? What am I doing wrong please. I would really like to grow it because I use a fair amount and would like to know have to buy it at the store.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 27, 2006 11:13 AM
Tammy according to what it said on a package of seed that I bought...It says to Press seed lightly into the soil surface, leaving it uncovered, as light aids in germination. Keep moist. Germination in 7-21 days it says also. The seeds I have started always seem to germinate in about 5 days. The thing I like about sage is that it has leaves all winter long that you can harvest fresh as needed. I have one growing in a pot outdoors, and there is nothing that tastes better then fresh sage in homemade stuffing. Plus of course it has medicinal properties which makes it duel purpose. In the summer months when it is really bushy, I cut it back and dry the leaves for medicinal purposes. It has a really pleasant taste when smoked also, so is a good alternative to tobacco and helps with coughs plus a ton of other things.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 27, 2006 11:17 AM
I was wondering...how you water you plants tk????

I have found two good ways to water seedlings:

A spray bottle for when you are starting seeds works wonderful and once they are seedling...A washed thoughly..dish soap bottle works good as you can squeeze out the amount of water you need, also the water should be room temperature for watering.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Herbs - An Overview| Next thread: herbs in containers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: