The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Grass for little to no light areas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Grass Clippings Mulch| Next thread: Grass help PLEASE!!!! »
Back to Thread index
by Hawkinsc4 on May 13, 2005 01:00 AM
What kind of grass will grow under trees where there is little to no light? I read on the internet if there is to much shade, that that interferes with the wavelengths of the sun and really no grass could grow. Is that true? Also if no grass will grow is there another type of ground coverage (ie: jasmine) that will grow with litttle to no light? the cheaper the better.... HELP!!
by tkhooper on May 13, 2005 11:21 AM
Hi Hawkins,

So we aren't talking shade here but almost complete darkness? Like underneath a low growing evergreen tree?

I wouldn't bother to plant underneath it but would come to the outside edge of the branches and begin planting there. And I would probably plant annuals since the tree would get bigger every year and I'm not very good at moving plants.

This is a link to a list of plants that grow in deep shade. If you go to the site search engine and put in deep shade you will also find other useful information. Deep Shade

Whatever you decide to plant the cheaper way to go is to start with seeds.

I don't know anything about jasmine so I don't know if that would be a good idea or not.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Grass Clippings Mulch| Next thread: Grass help PLEASE!!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: