The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Anybody grow hops?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by 'Sparagus on April 15, 2006 07:29 AM
I just bought some rihozomes today! Mostly for fun, but I do have friends that are very into home brewing (and they are good at it too [thumb] ) so it would be an added bonus if this was actually successful.

The variety is called "Cascade" which from the 2 seconds of research I have done so far, has a shorter growing season which should be good for up here. I have a full sun spot where I can rig up something for it to grow on up to the second floor, about 20 ish feet.

Any tips I should know about? I hear not to expect much till the 3rd year. They are resting in the fridge till I can get them planted.

CHEERS!!

[flower] Karen

I love beer
by SpringFever on April 16, 2006 08:57 PM
My husband brews beer too! cascade is suppose to grow well... I will google it and see if there is more info on the actual growing of!!
I never actually thought about growing them we usually buy them way over priced!!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by SpringFever on April 16, 2006 09:09 PM
From what I came up with, like moist soil make sure you multch them over winter. Other than that it needs a support which you already know.
Pretty vine though.
I should buy me one of those too!! [muggs] Just found this page!

http://my.vbe.com/~hawley/hops.htm

-
 -
by 'Sparagus on April 17, 2006 08:07 AM
Thank you SpringFever! I got mine at the local home brew store and maybe you have one near by that has them at this time of year too? It's getting close to being too late to plant but not just yet.

Oh and you cleared this up for me, that is a smiley with a beer!

[flower] Karen [muggs]
by SpringFever on April 17, 2006 10:42 PM
No problem!!
Do you brew too or just your friend?
The local stores here only sell the packaged ones, none living
But there are a lot of online suppliers which is cool! Now if you could only grow the malt!!
I planted raspberries so we could do a Raspberry mead which is like a wine made with honey it's pretty good.

-
 -
by 'Sparagus on April 19, 2006 10:02 AM
Just my friends brew, although I really want to try it, but my hubby doesnt seem as into it. We have a 1 year old so he doesnt want to spend any prescious free time scrubbing beer bottles! [Big Grin]

Ive heard that the hops are "unpredictable" when they are fresh, so they really have to be dried before use. I havent decided where Im going to plant the rihozome yet! I better decide soon, it said to plant it around when you'd plant peas, so Im late! [Roll Eyes]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: