The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

White Fuzzy Growth on Sprouts

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: White fuzz!| Next thread: white fuzzy jumping bug?? »
Back to Thread index
by ppbvegis on April 14, 2006 12:58 AM
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to gardening this season and planted my first seeds 2 days ago (radish, green peppers, and lettuce). To my surprise, the radishes have already sprouted quite a bit, but unfortunately they have a white fuzzy growth on them.

I've heard this was a sign of overwatering, so I took the cover off my my greenhouse container that they are plated in as to let more air get at them. These are indoors right by my south-facing window which gets lots of sun all day.

My question is, will this fungus or whatever it is go away, or do I have to start over? Will the plants survive the attack of the white fuzzies? thanks!
by peppereater on April 14, 2006 01:03 AM
Hi pp, and welcome to the forum! The radishes will probably be alright. If you can put a fan on them, or open a window so they can get some breeze, it should help.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by ppbvegis on April 14, 2006 01:23 AM
Alright, sounds good. I will give that a try. Thank you.
by johnCT on April 14, 2006 01:27 AM
Definitely sounds like some type of fungus. You should never keep freshly germinated seedlings covered. Covers are only to keep seed starting mix from drying out so fast so the seed will germinate as quick as possible. Once the seed germinates, the need for a cover ends. They will most likely survive, but certainly uncover them and get some air movement around them like Dave said if possible. Also, seedlings should not be kept constantly moist. Only seed should. Let the soil dry out before watering.

John - Zone 6
by ppbvegis on April 14, 2006 01:35 AM
Thanks for the tips, it's great to learn all these new things. I can't wait to start seeing more growth!
by peppereater on April 14, 2006 01:41 AM
pp...be careful not to cook those other seeds...you don't want the peppers warmer than about the upper seventies...they could cook under the covers, so at least set them on a little ajar.
The lettuce should be even cooler, if possible, so you may want to get them out of the direct sun until they sprout.

-
Dave
by ppbvegis on April 14, 2006 03:23 AM
What I did was took the cover off and placed the plants outside in the sun so they could get some breeze and cool off a bit. The temperature is about 18 celcius today. Is this a good idea? I'll bring them back in later.
by peppereater on April 14, 2006 10:03 AM
Radishes are fine outdoors down to near freezing in containers. If the sun didn't burn them today, I'd leave them out...same with lettuce. Keep us posted! We want to know!

-
Dave
by ppbvegis on April 27, 2006 09:18 AM
Just an update...

I ended up taking the cover off and putting the container outside. The plants sprouted fine and I just transplanted the radish and lettuce plants into my garden today. [Smile]
by peppereater on April 27, 2006 10:43 AM
Woohoo! It's great that you're keeping us updated. I'll be curious to see hw the radishes do, I've never tried translanting those. [thumb]

-
Dave
by ppbvegis on April 27, 2006 11:59 AM
I'll keep you posted. I have about 4 plants that were transplanted and about 20 [grin] that have grown from seeds outdoors in my garden. So really, I didn't need to start them indoors, but it's my first time gardening so it's all an experiment.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: White fuzz!| Next thread: white fuzzy jumping bug?? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: