The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pine trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: pine tree yellowing| Next thread: Pineapple Mint »
Back to Thread index
by Appsparkey on April 01, 2005 12:52 AM
Recently moved into a place with 3 huge pine trees in the front yard. Up to me - they would be gone - dont get upset - the other half loves them and says they stay. Ok - there is a bark border underneath them. What kind of plants will grow underneath these things? I was thinking of spiradically planting some hostas and ferns - but am wondering if they will be ok with the acidic soil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
by tkhooper on April 01, 2005 01:08 AM
I know the ferns will love it underneath the pines. I bought some hosta this year but haven't planted it yet and don't have an pine trees where I am so I can't say about them. If your soil is too acidic could you add lime or would that be a problem for the pine trees?

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 01, 2005 01:34 AM
[Roll Eyes] i am not sure there is anything that is a problem for pine trees! i know that once one is established, about the only way to kill one is collar rot or cut it down. so adding lime shouldn't hurt it.
by rozy221 on April 01, 2005 06:13 AM
Next to my huge pine I have 2 small azalea bushes that have been doing great for god-knows-how-long. They do get SOME sun, but not much-(north side, late afternoon, around the shadow of the pine)-Good luck! [wayey]
by Appsparkey on April 02, 2005 03:20 PM
Thanks much for the responses. Azalea - never even crossed my mind. Thank you.

Adding the lime - and as pointed out shouldnt harm the trees, as they have been around longer than me - though does this really solve the problem of reducing acidity? enough for me to plant non acid loving plants?
by tkhooper on April 02, 2005 04:17 PM
lime is the answer for correcting the ph in acidic soil. I've been told you can get a soil analyser kit for around 10.00. Once you know the number the lime comes with a chart of how much to add to the soil to change the ph.

I hope I have that right. I've been reading and reading but sometimes the information gets confused in my brain.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pine tree yellowing| Next thread: Pineapple Mint »
Back to Thread index