The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

BIG HOLES in yard?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: big cabbage?| Next thread: Big mistake »
Back to Thread index
by jonzo on September 14, 2004 04:07 PM
Hi All,

Just found this forum through a google search for holes in yard....but the holes covered here are tooooo small! I have 6-8 vertical holes scattered about one side of the yard...6"-10" across...and leading to underground tunneling. There is no debris around the holes. My dog is totally uninterested in said holes...and I've never seen any beasts in the yard. Also it seems like more holes are showing up. Any suggestions????

Thanks to All,

Jonzo
by afgreyparrot on September 14, 2004 04:41 PM
Hi, Jonzo! [wayey] Welcome to the forum!

I'm the resident "hole fanatic" here, but I don't have any THAT big! I have small "Mystery Holes", and some 4 inch "Skunks Digging For Grubs Holes"! [Big Grin]

quote:
6"-10" across...and leading to underground tunneling.
Those are some HUGE holes! Do you know anyone with a Jack Russell terrier? It would go right down the hole and flush "whatever it is" out! (Or, maybe a toy poodle? Then you would find out if it was a meat eater!) Man, you need to get some photos and post them! Interesting!

quote:
There is no debris around the holes.
Hmmm.....that's just freaky [Frown] ! Where did it go, you reckon?

A BIG hole, and no dirt outside from the excavation process... [nutz]

quote:
Also it seems like more holes are showing up.
(Well, I'm not going to mention aliens, because I doubt if the "higher powers" here appreciate my alien theory on mystery holes, for fear I will scare the new members off!)
And you haven't seen ANY critters around these holes? Have you tried filling them up with water to see if something comes out?

This is so interesting! Do you have a photo you could post?

Hopefully someone here can help you out with this, because now I am very curious! We need to get to the bottom of this "Mystery Hole" business! [Big Grin]

Nice to meet you!
Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Triss on September 14, 2004 06:28 PM
Jonzo,

Welcome to the forum. Not too sure what animal is inhabiting your mystery holes but before you take Cindy's advice and flood them, which is what I would do also, be sure to step away from the holes first. We flooded our ground squirrel holes and Dan was very surprised when the first couple jumped up at him trying to get away from the water. Of course I thought it was funny since I was safe on the porch. [Big Grin]

Triss

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by afgreyparrot on September 14, 2004 06:48 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I'm quite sure I would have to go change drawers if that happened to me! [Big Grin]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Triss on September 14, 2004 07:09 PM
Cindy,

I almost had to change mine and all I was doing was laughing.

On a good note, since we flooded the holes, we have seen much fewer varmits.

Triss

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by The Plant Doc on September 18, 2004 03:54 PM
I agree it sounds like your problem is with grubs, and the animals that are feeding on them.

You can either contact a lawn care company who can do an application to get rid of them, or you can do it your self with a insecticide named SEVIN.
For home use I would recommend getting the granular formulation, and using a broadcast spreader, as opposed to using a liquid. Either which way you do it, it will need to be watered in very heavily ( at least a 1/4 of and inch of water ). This will the stuff down to the level where the grubs are.

Mike

ps Spelling does not count befoer I have had my 3rd cup of coffee!

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by The Plant Doc on September 18, 2004 03:55 PM
Whoops that should have read 3/4 of an inch of water

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: big cabbage?| Next thread: Big mistake »