The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Finally finished my project!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by johnCT on April 03, 2006 08:19 PM
Just in time to start my tomato seed and all my other seed next weekend. Each shelf holds three adjustable shoplights and up to four 1020 trays with the option to use the top shelf if needed. At that point however, I should be locked up. Let me know what you think.

-  -

John - Zone 6
by pagarden on April 03, 2006 08:55 PM
looks awesome!
by SpringFever on April 03, 2006 08:56 PM
Nice one.. I was just gonna do a simalar thing.
I have an old fish tank cover and was going to try to do some kind of seed starting table I hope it works... [thumb] [clappy]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by afgreyparrot on April 03, 2006 08:57 PM
Wow! That is so perfect for starting seeds!
...with the adjustable lights so easy to move up when you need to.

[thumb]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by weezie13 on April 03, 2006 11:26 PM
John, m` man, when are you comin' over to myyyyy house???? [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Cool] [grin] [thumb]
That is very, veryyyyyyy nice....
*I'll have to jab hubby in the ribs and show him this*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ChristinaC on April 05, 2006 10:43 PM
How I WISH I had that!!!!! Great setup John!!

I just balance my lights between 2 shelves and use various items to keep my plants within' 2 inches from them...books, cd cases, beer cases, bricks....anything. I should take a pic...you'd laugh! Talk about being frugal! [perplexed]

-
 -
by 'Sparagus on April 05, 2006 10:48 PM
That's awesome! Just yesterday I built my seedling shelf, all my broccoli sprouted earlier than expected and I had to get moving!

We have shop lights that conveniently came with the house, so I took a board, added eye bolts, chain, and then put screw eyes into the cieling and hung the shelf right under the light. I also have a second light and if I end up building a second set up.....I should also be locked up, I dont have enough garden for all the plants that would produce!!

Happy seedling raisin'!

[flower] Karen
by ChristinaC on April 05, 2006 10:55 PM
See..how sad is this?? [Big Grin] This is one of my 4 lights...the others are setup in the same way...balanced on anything I can find.

But hey..it works for me.

-

-
 -
by peppereater on April 05, 2006 11:01 PM
As long as we're postin' pics... Here's how my 'mators are doing...
 -
 -
 -
 -
The largest plants are shading out the smaller ones...I'll have to repot some today.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by ChristinaC on April 05, 2006 11:02 PM
Here's another one on the other wall. Doesn't quite compare to yours does it John?! [Big Grin]

-

-
 -
by johnCT on April 05, 2006 11:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
But hey..it works for me.
Thats all that matters! Looks very functional to me. [Big Grin] [muggs] Good to see you drink good beer! [muggs]

Dave, those plants look great! Do they prefer the permanent-press cycle or delicate? [Big Grin] [Razz]

John - Zone 6
by SpringFever on April 05, 2006 11:17 PM
LOL you guys are funny!!!
all your plants look great!!!
I think the beer is helping.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumb]
[muggs]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by peppereater on April 05, 2006 11:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
[QUOTE]
Dave, those plants look great! Do they prefer the permanent-press cycle or delicate? [Big Grin] [Razz]

[tongue]
[wavey] Hey John!
My shelf is hung above the washer...I keep the lights just touching or almost touching the tallest plants. It took forever for them to take off, but they really do look great now, don't they? You were right about the Red Brandywine...it's not the true RB. It has potato leaves. All the Brandywines did great, they're the largest of all the starts. I had almost 100% germination with them, 17 of 18. The Aunt Ruby's, 4 of 6 sprouted, the Red Strawberry, 2 of 6. I replanted a few of each of those...

-
Dave
by weezie13 on April 05, 2006 11:33 PM
Welllllllll, goshhhhhh [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] you guys are alllllllllll soooooooooo much ahead of me...
Mine are still in their packages... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on April 05, 2006 11:40 PM
Glad most are doing well for you Dave. Kimberly is giving me a hard time germinating, but Taxi and Silvery Fir Tree are up and running.

John - Zone 6
by johnCT on April 05, 2006 11:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Welllllllll, goshhhhhh [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] you guys are alllllllllll soooooooooo much ahead of me...
Mine are still in their packages...

Thats what you get for living in Nanooksville! [Razz]

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on April 05, 2006 11:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
Glad most are doing well for you Dave. Kimberly is giving me a hard time germinating, but Taxi and Silvery Fir Tree are up and running.
I'm wondering...All the seeds I planted looked great, I'm pretty sure they were viable. Is there anything you, or anyone, would suggest to kick start them? Or are they goners?

-
Dave
by ChristinaC on April 06, 2006 12:01 AM
I'm having the same problem with my Thai Chilis. They just don't seem to be going anywhere. 3 days ago they sprouted (just barely) and they haven't moved since. I keep telling them, "C'mon lil chilis, stand up!" But that doesn't seem to be working...stubborn lil buggers. [Wink] [Big Grin]
My green peppers, jalapenos and tomatoes are far ahead of them. Maybe I should just be patient with them? [dunno]

-
 -
by johnCT on April 06, 2006 12:04 AM
I've read of people saying that they've had tomato seed germinate that they up and gave up on two months prior. I don't know, other than maybe some bottom heat or digging them out and trying to use a wet paper towel to get them to germinate. [dunno]

I'm pretty frustrated with the Kimberly seed. I got it in trade and was supposedly only two years old, but it was the one that I was hoping for my earliest, best fruit from. Its now been over three weeks, and all I have to show is one seedling that sprouted and doesn't look like it will be able to shed it's coat before it gives up the ghost. [Mad] [Eek!]

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on April 06, 2006 12:05 AM
Christina...if they're growing under the same condtions...same soil, same light...they'll probably be alright. Hey, the fact that they're germinated is half the battle! (He says as he looks anxiously at some of his own lil chiles!) [Embarrassed]

-
Dave
by comfrey on April 11, 2006 03:08 AM
I missed this topic for some reason...Christina I love using the beer boxes, everyones setups look great. Here are a couple of pictures of mine:
 -

-

And here are more pictures if you are interested My Plant Room

-
 -
by johnCT on April 11, 2006 03:14 AM
Great pics! I see tomatoes!

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on April 11, 2006 04:05 AM
Wowwwwwww, what alllllll do you have in there???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on April 11, 2006 11:30 AM
I have about 7 kinds of Tomatoes, I have Bell peppers, a few Jalapenos, Basil, Bush Basil, Cypress vine (red and white both) Purple Hycinath beans, columbines, and I can't remember without going to look [Big Grin] I also have seeds put down for zinnia's, four o'clocks, cucumber's, cockscomb, echinaca, calendula and something else I am sure...Plus I have African violet leaves in there also. There are about 30 plants that I am growing for other people, which are tomatoes, peppers & basil, but the rest will go into my garden. I still have more seeds to start and need to do some transplanting tommarow also. It is so much fun when you add more because you have to rearrange every plant/flat so they all fit under the lights. Anyone else know that feeling???? [flower] [flower]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: