The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Will the seeds wash away?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by rozy221 on April 03, 2006 04:38 AM
I planted some spinach and lettuce seeds outside today. Problem is is that my WONDERFUL husband threw out my row covers that I've always used to keep the birds and elements away from my seeds and seedlings. Now they're calling for showers the next two days. Are the seeds going to wash away or will they be ok? Is there anything I can do to prevent them from getting lost? Thanks for any advice!
by peppereater on April 03, 2006 06:49 AM
Water them in now, I'm guessing you did already, that will help. It will condition the soil some so that it absorbs moisture better, and helps stick the seeds in place some. Most gardeners don't use row covers (I wish I had some! [grin] ) If it really storms, you might have to reseed...see what is happening in a week, or just reseed anyway, it can't hurt.
Tell your husband he's in big trouble! [Big Grin]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by beebiz on April 03, 2006 03:12 PM
Hey rozy,

I fully agree with Dave (including your DH being in big trouble!!). And, if you want some cheap replacements for your row covers, do the yard sale thing. You can usually find what my mother calls sheers (the seethrough curtains that go between the main curtains and the window) for next to nothing! You will probably have to sew a few of them together to make the size you need. But, they are usually very cheap and work very well as row covers.

Good luck, and bee good!! [Wink]

Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by Longy on April 04, 2006 03:02 AM
I use an old bedsheet to cover sown seed. It helps stop the soil drying out and stops heavy rain from washing seeds away. Works fine. Once the first seedlings show up, remove it.

-
The secret is the soil.
by comfrey on April 04, 2006 11:06 AM
Rain can wash the seed away...I had some of my carrot seed wash away last year, but I put down so much seed, it didn't matter that some got washed away, some washee next to the row and sprouted and I just left it where it was until harvest. But unless you have a gully washer, the rain really shouldn't be too much of a problem.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: