The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomatoes in Northeast PA?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tomatoes are toast!| Next thread: Tomatoes Indoors »
Back to Thread index
by clawgirl on March 26, 2006 01:33 AM
Hi! I was wondering when other people in NEPA plant their started tomatoes outside? Also, does anyone have any good tips for hardening off heirloom tomatoes? Thanks!

clawgirl
by pagarden on March 26, 2006 10:30 AM
hi there! i am in NE PA too! where you at? i started my seeds a few weeks ago actually. i didn't grow heirlooms but the past few years i've planted the others out early to mid may and have not had any problems. i usually start putting them outside a few weeks earlier and letting them sit on the porch in the sun for a few hours. i still bring them indoors at night. and then towards the end i might sit them in the garden and just leave them until i actually plant them. they've been happy so far.
by clawgirl on March 26, 2006 11:32 PM
I'm in Scranton, near the Poconos. I've been staggering the planting of my tomato seeds -- I planted the largest fruit varieties first. I just finished up with my cherry and currant varities. This is my first year growing my own tomatoes from seed, so I need all the help I can get! Thanks for your advice!

clawgirl
by pagarden on March 27, 2006 10:03 PM
i LOVE growing tomaotes from seed. something about watching those first seedlings get their second set of leaves and then rubbing them and being able to smell "summer" in march i just love! i think there's more variety from seed too. i have friends who don't have the patience to grow from seed and just buy plants every year, but i get enjoyment from watching them grow from nothing and later being able to eat from them. i am growing 4 of july tomatoes, cherry and yellow pears this year. anyhow- i am in stroudsburg- not too far from you! the end of this week is supposed to be very nice! i can't wait! 60's they say! we'll see though.
by dodge on March 31, 2006 11:24 AM
I live in Western Pennsylvania.. If the weather permits, we sneak a few tomatoes out, around 15 of may.. My plants are abut 18 inches high now, from seeds.
I have them in a a cooler part of the house, and will take them out when we get about 60 degrees. On the porch .....and back in at nite.
Last 2 years I have tomatoes to eat in the winter , inside my house .......

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomatoes are toast!| Next thread: Tomatoes Indoors »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: