The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

upper respertory infections

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: update pics| Next thread: upside down tomatoe plant »
Back to Thread index
by Sorathien on October 04, 2005 03:55 AM
i have 4 pet rats, and rats in general tend to be quite prone to upper respertory infections. they can actually be fatal if left untreated.

what are some herbal treatments i can use to help prevent, and treat upper respertory infections in rats? (btw, their immune systems are pretty much the same as ours, they're just smaller, about 1 pound in weight)
by ShirlS on October 04, 2005 12:29 PM
Hi Sorathien,

I did a quick search and found this for you. Hopefully it helps some until someone who knows more comes along.
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/herbal.htm
Shirl

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Forest Tengu on October 04, 2005 12:37 PM
Get a pet cat those help rat problems of all kinds. (haha joking, I believe that web page is the best info you will get on herbalism for rats)

Those who are good at running leave no tracks - Lao Tzu
by Sorathien on October 04, 2005 02:28 PM
well, anything that will treat an upper respertory infection in humans (a cold) will be safe for a rat.

i already give them echinacea regularly, just to keep their immune systems strong.

a few days ago, one of them (Pocky) was making a really horrible snoring sound when he breathed hard (i picked him up and he got a little scared and started breathing fast) he sounded so congested. so i made up a brew with peppermint, chamomile, cinnamon, lavender and echinacea. i put it right by their cage as it cooled so they could breathe in the vapors, then once it cooled, i put it in their water bottle.

well, by the time the water bottle was empty, about 2 days later, Pocky's breathing sounded normal!

so basically i'm asking, how would you treat a HUMAN upper respertory infection (cold) and i can translate that into a smaller dosage for a rat.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: update pics| Next thread: upside down tomatoe plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: