The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dangers of pressure treated wood

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Dangerous lawn!| Next thread: Danielle's new garden »
Back to Thread index
by 'Sparagus on March 17, 2006 10:11 PM
I hope someone can give me some advice. I have a veggie garden plot that I have surrounded with landscaping ties, that I believe are pressure treated. [scaredy] Ive recently read about possible dangers of arsenic leaching into the soil, and possibly plants. Problem is, they have been there for about 6 years now!

Im taking them out this year, but is it too late?? I actually have my asparagus bed within this area. That scares me because if there is bad stuff in the soil, they have been exposed to it all these years, being perennial!

Does anyone have an opinion? [dunno]

Thanks!

Karen [flower]
by Amigatec on March 17, 2006 10:42 PM
I looked into that and from what I can find, the tests that have been done, don't really prove any problems one way or the other.

In some cases the chemicals can get into the plants and in other cases it doesn't. And the levels are not above the legal limits.

It seems to effect some plants more than others. If the plants are more than 6" away the chances are very slight.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by johnCT on March 17, 2006 10:52 PM
If it's 6 years old, it is most likely the currently banned CCA treated variety. Not the ACQ treated variety that is the only type available today without arsenic as an ingredient in the treatment process. There have been many studies as to the amount of leaching there really is and I'm just not sure what to believe. Eventually everything gets broken down by the microorganisms in the soil anyway. If I were you, I'd definitely get rid of it and replace it with either the new PT stuff or something naturally rot-resistant like cedar or redwood.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on March 17, 2006 11:10 PM
The problem with CCA is, the chromium and arsenic are elements and cannot be broken down. They may leach away gradually, but they're generally very stable and remain in the soil. I would be tempted to remove them...in fact, I definitely would, but that's me. As to the levels and concentrations in soil and in the crops, most likely they're acceptable by current standards, but I would definitely wash my hands after handling the soil and wash the vegetables well to get soil residues off.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by 'Sparagus on March 17, 2006 11:11 PM
Yep, I bet it is, I remember it being greenish when I got it. [Eek!] Maybe that is why I had an aversion to my asparagus when I was pregnant!!

Well, im just going to take it out and hope for the best. Thanks all!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dangerous lawn!| Next thread: Danielle's new garden »
Back to Thread index